We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is mid April a good time to visit Kauai?

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Topic
Is mid April a good time to visit Kauai?

I am trying to put together a vacation for my family in mid April. I plan on staying in the Kappa area, if that is helpful. I am totally stressed out at work and would certainly like to go ASAP for that reason, but I am willing to wait if it will be a better experience. Thanks for any help you can give me :-)

Seattle & Poipu
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is mid April a good time to visit Kauai?

Hawaii is great any time of the year. The weather is pretty even all year round - it only varies a few degrees between summer and winter.

The only downside to mid April is that there will be lots of families and kids since that is spring break time. And airfare and hotel/condos might be more expensive. After spring break things calm down.

Just go, you will have a great time. I can't think of anything more relaxing than laying out in the sun on an empty beach.

Alan

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is mid April a good time to visit Kauai?

We went last year during our spring break (Oregon breaks in March) and were there 3/17-3/27. Washington state and Alaska were also on spring break--might have been others as well. I thought some of the Hawaii schools were also out during that time, but perhaps am wrong about that. Anyway, it was great. The roads were a little busy at times, but we always got where we were going on time (it takes on a different meaning in Hawaii, I think, which is a relief in and of itself). We loved Poipu Beach (the beach is gorgeous, and the snorkeling is sublime), the Canyon, all of the waterfalls, lush vegetation, coffee farms, sugar cane fields, North coast, etc. Be sure to get a red dirt shirt and don't be surprised if you hear a rooster or two (or a hundred--they're everywhere). You are certain to get a big break from job stress, and I carried that wonderful, relaxed feeling around for weeks after we got back here to the mainland--what a treat! Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Washington
Washington
United States
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is mid April a good time to visit Kauai?

April is a great time to go to Kauai. Not too hot & humid then. It is the "start" of the season and costs creep up. If you need help with where to stay in Kapaa, I can give you a hand. Feel free to e-mail me at kwils1@yahoo.com

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is mid April a good time to visit Kauai?

aloha need2go - my sympathies that work is stressing you out and we look forward to your visit to the islands in april. meanwhile, don't take any guff from those swine at work! :-)

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is mid April a good time to visit Kauai?

We had a great time in april. Just make sure to bring pants and a jacket, it's surprisingly chilly at night with the constant breeze, even though it's 70+ degrees outside.

Boston
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is mid April a good time to visit Kauai?

Just go and have a nice time! Kauai is supposed to be nice and quiet so you might be less likely to run into crowds than on the other islands. I don't know the Kappa area but the Poipu Beach area and northern is lovely. Friends stayed up north in a condo and loved it!

Boston
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is mid April a good time to visit Kauai?

Just go and have a nice time! Kauai is supposed to be nice and quiet so you might be less likely to run into crowds than on the other islands. I don't know the Kappa area but the Poipu Beach area and northern is lovely. Friends stayed up north in a condo and loved it!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is mid April a good time to visit Kauai?

April is an EXCELLENT time to go to Kauai. Actually, it's shoulder season in Hawaii, so it's cheaper than in the winter months when everyone is looking to escape their cold weather or during the summer months, when hordes of vacationing families descend upon Hawaii. The weather is the best during April and May as well, with temperatures in the 70's typically and sunny, with very little precipitation. I've been to the various Hawaiian islands about 30 times in total, and my favorite time to go is April or May. And, by the way, as for spring breakers, as long as you are going in mid-April, you should be safe from the bulk of the crowds.

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is mid April a good time to visit Kauai?

Thanks to all for the encouraging messages! :-) I am definately ready to go now! I decided to stay in the Kapaa area because it is centrally located on the island, and seems to be where the best deals are on accomidations. I had hoped to stay at the Beachboy, but it looks like they are all booked up. No suprise as this is last minute. Kwils, I will take you up on the help with other places to stay in your area :-) Thanks for the assistance. I am figuring that a condo will work better for us as we are taking our Daughter who is 10 and Son 9 with us. I have read the other posts here and it really seems to be the way to go with a family, instead of trying to cram 4 people in a small hotel room.

Thanks again for everyone's support!! I am feeling better already ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is mid April a good time to visit Kauai?

good..hang in there and don't go postal on us need2go! btw bad joke: - Q:do you know what it means when the post office flies their flag at half mast? A: they're hiring.