We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luaus

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Luaus

I am so torn about where to go for a luau. After reading I decided to do Kauai's Best Luau but then when I tried to get tickets I found out that it is only on Tuesdays. I will only be able to attend Thurs, Fri or Sunday nights because I am traveling there for a wedding. I have been to many luaus so it is really for my 6 year old nephew because I know he would love it, especially one with fire-dancers. I am really discouraged though because of what I have been reading about all of them. I was going to do the Hiva Pasefika Luau, but I found out that they have moved it indoors. Please help. I really want to make this a super vacation for my nephew.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luaus

There is always the old established, tried and true, Smith's Polynesian Luau in the same vicinity that you describe the others that interested you, between Lihue and Kapaa. It is located along the Wailua River, outdoors in a botanical garden setting.

Up at "Kauai forums" type "luau" in the "Search" box for ideas from tourists such as yourself. View Smith's website online at smithskauai.com.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luaus

Smith's has their luau on Mon, Wed & Fri during the fall & winter months, and Mon-Fri in spring and summer. You should be able to make one of their shows on a Friday.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luaus

Smith's was great. My "kids" (young adults) liked it so much they wanted to go both times they've been to Kauai.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,885 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luaus

Yes, we went to Smith's Luau in August with my kids and they loved it. This time we went early which was nice - got to tour the gardens and relax before the festivities. Good food - lots of selection and we all loved the show. Go and have fun! :)

California
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Luaus

When are you going? The firedancer for the Hiva Pasefika is one of the best we ever saw and he still does his thing on the beach at the end of the luau. The original luau groounds burned. But that firedancer is so good.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Luaus

If you're trying to entertain a 6 year old, I'd choose Smith's. Not only do they have a Fire Knife Dancer (who ends the program and LOVES to get applause!) they also have many cultural dances, such as the Chinese Dragon, which comes up into the audience, which is thrilling for young ones who have never seen such a thing. Gosh, there's a fellow who puts a chicken to sleep by carressing it a certain way, just lots of interesting things to watch.

Of course, there's lots of food items to try too. I think your son would love Smith's. It's really very moving -- starting out with the mythical Pele arising from the volcano, calling people from many places to Hawaii... My kids loved it when they were young, so that would be my choice. I've gone many times over the years and am going again with a large wedding party next week!

If you get there early, you can tour the grounds and see some replica village buildings, large stone aku statues, peacocks, interesting plants and trees...

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Luaus

Oops! I meant nephew!

8. Re: Luaus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 22:17