We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for an oceanfront condo

usx
providence, ri
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for an oceanfront condo

Looking for a 1BR oceanfront condo with a good swimming / body surfing beach. Any suggestions? I got shut out of Wailua Bayview for the time I needed (July 13-20).

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for an oceanfront condo

Just spent 3 weeks there this Feb Mar and stayed in a 1 bedroom -- couldn't get closer to the ocean if you tried -- condo at Kuhio Shores.

Google Kuhio Shores or look at vrbo for Poipu area to find rentals. There are 75 units, 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms.

Two small sandy beaches on either side of the condo--2 surf breaks right there (PKs and Acid Drop). Kiahuna Beach and Poipu Beach are in walking distance (20 minutes walk). Kiahuna Beach is probably the best for body surfing and it's a lovely, sandy beach.

Kiahuna Plantation would be our other pick, but there are many buildings and you could end up way at the back with a 5 minute walk to the beach -- the beachfront condos are pretty expensive.

Have a great time - we did!

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
19 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for an oceanfront condo

Look into Poipu Shores. RIGHT on the ocean, short walk to Brennecke's beach. Stayed there a couple of years ago..watched sea turtles and crashing surf from the balcony.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for an oceanfront condo

Too bad about WBV being full during that time. Wailua bay and the Kapaa beaches have nice body surfing / boogie boarding in July. Check VRBO.com for other places on the east shore. You could also check out Kapaa Sands, Pono Kai, or Lae Nani.

usx
providence, ri
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for an oceanfront condo

Thanks for the replies...keep'em coming. I've been scouring listings on vrbo.com. How does it work? Who gets paid? Who do I see when I get to the resort? And what happens if there is a problem with the room?

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for an oceanfront condo

To answer your questions about renting a condo directly from the owner--I can tell you how ours worked at Kuhio Shores.

We emailed first then phoned the owner to discuss times, payment, etc. Sent a $200 deposit up front. Then about 60 days before the trip, full payment was required. (The owners live in California)

They then emailed us all the details, for instance, there was a lock box on the door of the condo and they gave us the combination. We had their phone number, the cleaning person's phone number and the handyman's phone number.

(If you're staying for more than a week, negotiate a mid-stay cleaning for free. They don't normally have daily cleaning as far as I know - once a week was enough for us)

The only issue we had was the phone went out for a day or two. Called the handyman and he had it fixed the next day.

Each unit is furnished differently and has different extras like beach chairs, boogie boards, etc, so ask for pictures and a listing of what's included.

Hope this helps.

Seattle & Poipu
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for an oceanfront condo

There are pros and cons to renting directly from an owner:

Pros:

1. You will likely get a better rate than renting from a management company like Aston or Suite Paradise.

2. You will know which specific condo you will get when you reserve.

3. Individual owners may take better care of their properties.

4. Individual owners will take more time to answer your questions and can send lots of pictures of the condo. They have a lot more personal interest in your business.

Cons:

1. Renting from an owner takes a bit of a leap of faith especially if the owner lives on the mainland.

2. If there is a problem with the condo you are pretty much stuck with it. A management company with a large number of condos may be able to move you.

3. Individual owners may have stricter refund policies since it is hard for them to find a new guest at the last minute.

All in all, I have rented from individual owners and have had good results.