We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian music recommendations?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian music recommendations?

The countdown is on--in no time at all, we'll be exploring the Big Island and Kauai.

In the meantime, I'd love to collect some good Hawaiian music, to listen to in anticipation of our trip, and then on the trip itself.

We already have:

"Facing Future" by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole

and

Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Masters

Any suggestions for other audio treats?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,820 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian music recommendations?

My other Hawaiian favorites: Keali'i Reichel - he is great! I have the cd Melelana, though any of his would be good. Also, Hapa is great too (I have In the Name of Love). Hope that helps add to the collection and mood setting! :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian music recommendations?

Coalminer is right on....we really enjoy Kealii Riechel, and saw him a few weeks ago just up the street at the Kauai Community College.

Impressive, and neat person, and really relates with the audience,and talks story, is humorous, and his music is beautiful.

Also, we like the Sons of Niihou, and I believe IZ used to be part of that up beat group.

For a local entertainer, John Cruz, " Acoustic Soul " and my favorite of his ISLAND STYLE. This is an old CD. Saw John Cruz at the Veterans memorial auditorium about a month or two ago in concert.

With all this help and suggestions you are going to have some FINE LISTENING ENJOYMENT .

Denny

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian music recommendations?

I enjoy the voice of Raiatea Helm (female falsetto) so much. You can hear cuts from her albums and lots of other Hawaiian musicians at amazon.com. That is a neat site to help you decide what appeals to you, i.e., ancient, traditional or modern. It is fun to shop on island at Border's or check out the carts full (they will demo for you) of Hawaiian CDs in various shopping centers, e.g., Princeville Foodland, Coconut Marketplace, etc.

Do a Kauai forum search under the green line above and type in "Hawaiian music." There have been a number of posts over the last year.

sacramento, ca
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian music recommendations?

I just picked up Na Leo's CD...there's a bunch of them to chose from!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian music recommendations?

creative -- if you like slack key, try Ledward Kaapana. He does some incredible stuff.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian music recommendations?

another vote for Keali'i Reichel !!!

San Diego
Level Contributor
126 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian music recommendations?

Check out hawaiianrainbow.com

They stream Hawaiian music and provide a list of who/what is playing so you can become familiar with the different artists. No commercials, either. It's a great to listen to while doing online planning for your trip (and reading tripadvisor forums!) -- really gets you in the island mood!

8. Re: Hawaiian music recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2007, 11:53
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian music recommendations?

Second Hapa and any slack key. Amy Gilliam is also good as is Keola Beamer. You can also stream some Hawaiian radio stations on your computer.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian music recommendations?

Another site for samples and links to the artist is http://www.mele.com

Another vote for Keali'i and Raitea got to hear her live at SpamJam great voice. Been fortunate to have found some of Iz and his brother with the Makaha Sons. Brothers Cazimero are good to saw their May Day show at the Waikiki Shell excellent.