We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Help for September Please ??

Manhattan
9 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon Help for September Please ??

Save

Hello,

I have been reading such great information on these boards and by now I have to say that I am confused by all of the raves (so many!) It is hard to deceide how to plan our honeymoon since we want only the best for this once and a lifetime trip.

First, I want to start by saying that we are looking for the ultimate vacation, with extra pampering, and beautiful views, the best rooms, food, entertainment etc. This is our honeymoon and we want to go first class all the way:

we are planning to go Sept 10- Sept 22 but we are willing to stay for a couple extra days if it will make our vacation that much better. So let us know what you think about that..

We were planning to fly into Kauai and either stay at the Princeville Hotel or the Hyatt- which is better for us? we were thinking of staying 4 nights.

Next we planned on going to Maui to stay at the Four Seasons? is this the best way to go for us? We planned on staying in maui for 5 nights.

Next we thought of going to Honolulu for the last 3 nights and staying at the Kaleulani? Is this best as well for us?

I am also willing to take other suggestions of better thought itineraries for us, I know most may say that we re doing too many islands, but we figured that we want to experience the culture of all 3, Kauai Relaxed, then, take it up a notch in Maui, and then end with a bang in honolulu. But again, I want to learn and take suggestions from everyone here..

Also, would you suggest a convertible, or a jeep, or reg car for all 3 islands, and which?

Thanks so much in advance!

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Help for September Please ??

.......we are planning to go Sept 10- Sept 22 but we are willing to stay for a couple extra days if it will make our vacation that much better.......

Oh yeah. Definitely stay the extra couple of days. With your itinerary you'll be busy and even three weeks on one island wasn't enough for me.

I like the order you have planned it also. Kauai first, then Maui then Oahu.

The only suggestion I have is the Hyatt over the Princeville, but you'll probably hear the opposite from others.

Congratulations and happy honeymoon!!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Help for September Please ??

Congratulations!!!

I personally think you should try to find a few extra days for Kauai if at all possible. Last year was the first time my husband and I were able to visit this beautiful island and we were not ready to leave after 7 nights. At that time we stayed at the Hyatt and it was/is an absolutely beautiful resort! However, we spent so much time traveling the island that we were only there to sleep. In the end we ended up regretting spending so much money to stay here.

If you're plan is to just relax and stay by the ocean/pool then I feel the Hyatt is a wonderful choice! However, if you plan on trying to see everything there is then I would reconsider. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have wonderful time!

Oh, I'm not sure if you've seen the Secret Beach Cottages, but if it were my honeymoon that's where I would want to stay. You may want to check them out. The website is www.secretbeachkauai.com. When I found these cottages I fell in love with them. Perhaps someday I'll have the pleasure of staying there....

California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Help for September Please ??

just based on the time of year you're going, i'd recommend princeville.

both resorts are high end, but at least you'd be on the north shore...and in september, i think that's the choice side of the island.

imho, the north shore is more scenic, has a larger number of nice beaches and has better snorkeling - this is especially true in the summer months.

i always recommend the south shore or east shore in winter, but in the summer, the north shore IS paradise.

my favorite place to stay in honolulu is the moana surfrider. it's pretty much the heart of waikiki beach.

Manhattan
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Help for September Please ??

thank you so much, we are now thinking that we should just skip honolulu all together and just do kauai and maui, would you think this is better?

And in regard to princeville hotel and hyatt, which has better service, pools, grounds and rooms?

How far is the drive from hyat to the north shore if we wanted to go for the day?

Wold 6 nights in kauai and 6 nights in maui be sufficient?

Thank you in advance!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Help for September Please ??

Congrats!!! We spent our honeymoon on Kauai, Oahu, and Lanai. FYI- it was very hard for me to come to Kauai and see all the natural beauty and then go to Oahu and see high rises...but that is just me.

First of all, I would suggest a jeep for Kauai. I would also recommend the Princeville over the Hyatt because you used the word "pamper". If you have a chance, you should look at the websites for both and see what you think, and be sure to keep their locations in mind. Personally, I have found that each part of the island has a certain allure to it, depending on what you want.

I will also caution you that visiting this island could become hazardous to your pocketbook. We have been every year since that honeymoon!

Congrats again and enjoy your time together.

California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Help for September Please ??

it's about 1 hour and 30 minutes from the south shore to the north shore one way.

not sure you want to be spending 3 hours in your car everyday...and trust me, you'll want to spend most of your time on the north shore in september; ke'e, tunnels, hanalei, lumahai, moloa'a, secret beach, larsen's....all the great beaches are up north in the summer.

there are certainly things to see down south - i highly recommend you take a day to go see waimea canyon and drive to the lookout over the na pali coast at the top.

and again, i'm not trying to knock the south shore, if this trip were happening in the winter, that's where i'd suggest you go.

but there is no place on earth like the north shore of kauai in the summer.

lastly, i've got a different take on waikiki...i absolutely love honolulu. kauai is definately my favorite island, but if you stay in the right spot on waikiki, it's awesome too.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,228 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Help for September Please ??

oregonian1 - couldn't have said it better . . . can you hear my applause??!! :)

Yes, the Northshore - you won't want to leave. Have a great honeymoon! :)

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
336 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon Help for September Please ??

Just came back from Kauai in Dec..did both the north and south shore and loved staying in the south better...reason...south MUCH better weather! A lot of rain on the north shore..much drier and sunnier on the south shore. Hyatt is lovely and quite upscale..Princeville also lovely but again..the weather..you just cant believe the difference. If you golf dont miss the Princeville course..really spectacular!!! Also dont miss a romantic dinner at The Beach House Restaurant in the Poipu Bay area. We were in Hawaii for 2 weeks - 4 days in Kauai and the Beach House was by far our favorite and best meal. Make a reservation for 5:30 and arrive about 5:15 and they seat you first come best table. We were there and saw Robert Redford. Not horribly expensive...we had a pricey bottle of wine and a spectacular meal and sunset for $200. Also dont miss a sunset cruise with Captain Andy of the Napalli coast - a highlight of the trip. I loved Kauai and Lanai...if you want a real 1st class treat go to Lanai and stay at the Four Seasons...extreme luxury, great views, wonderful food, fantastic spa. Bill Gates was married there..really amazing. Liked Maui and enjoyed the road to Hana a lot. I would definately stay at the 4 seasons in Lanai over Maui. Again Maui is very developed and busy. Lanai - very romantic, luxurious and unspoiled. Didnt like Honalulu - just found it too busy and crowded but glad I went to Pearl harbour - very moving. Big Island - totally different and big! Enjoyed the volcano there - got to see the lava flowing into the ocean - pretty cool! Loved my Hawaian experience..next time back to Kauai and Lanai only.

Happy honeymooning!

California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon Help for September Please ??

ust came back from Kauai in Dec..did both the north and south shore and loved staying in the south better...reason...south MUCH better weather! A lot of rain on the north shore..much drier and sunnier on the south shore.

--------------------------------------

that's b/c you were there in december....this will not be the case in september.

like i said, i'd recommend the south shore if the original poster were travelling to kauai in the winter, but they're not.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
779 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon Help for September Please ??

CONGRATS! How exciting.

We did a two week honeymoon and I loved spending time on just two islands (Oahu for four, Maui for 10). It was amazing. If I were you, I'd skip Oahu and do Kauai & Maui! If you decide to stay with your three islands, do Oahu first - you'll want to get out of there and see "Hawaii" after a few nights - don't end on a big city note.

You have to get a convertible. We ended up with a cherry red Mustang, it was just too much fun! :-)

The Ritz Carlton on Maui is pretty spectacular, if you ask me. The Four Seasons was AMAZING, too. You can't go wrong.