We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dirt Cheap place to stay in Kauai?

CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Dirt Cheap place to stay in Kauai?

I am looking at going alone to Kauai. I won an airline ticket for May 13- 20th and need a really cheap place to stay.

I also need it to be safe since I am traveling alone. Here are the places I have found for around $400.00 a week.

If anyone has stayed at any of these or knows of any I missed please let me know.

1. Hibiscus Hollow $310.00 for the week.

http://www.akauaivacationrental.com/

2. Annie's Condos in Princeville $450.00 for the week

http://anniescondoskauai.com/

3. Kauai Bed and Breakfast $275.00 for the week

http://www.garden-isle.com/aloha/index.htm

4. Mahinas- For women only. Looks a little to free thinking for my tastes but any input would be great $390.00 for the week

http://www.mahinas.com/

5. The bunk house-Hostel style with a shared bathroom but it looks cute! $350.00 a week

www.rosewoodkauai.com/backpacker_hostel.htm

Thanks for any input! I am leaning twords the Hibiscus House, the condo is a little higher than I want to pay.

I got a car for $10.00 a day on priceline. Any other monwy saving ideas?

Thanks,

Lodi

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dirt Cheap place to stay in Kauai?

We stayed at South Shore Vista, a bed and breakfast in Kalaheo which gives you the entire lower level of a house in a very nice residential district. It has a bedroom, full bath, kitchen and living room and lanai. The owners provided cereal, coffee, and fresh fruit. We were very pleased with how clean, comfy, and quiet the location was, and it was only about $65 a night, with pretty big price breaks after the 2nd night. We were there about a year ago, so I do not have current info., but their website was very helpful. Hope this helps--congrats on winning a trip--how cool is that!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dirt Cheap place to stay in Kauai?

The only one of these I know anything about is the Rosewood one. Rosemary and Norb Smith have lived on Kauai about 30 yrs and raised about 8 kids on that property. I've never seen their guest rooms but the house they live in is beautiful and shares the same roughly 1 acre site. All the rooms are clustered near the main house. She's a realtor and he does landscape contracting so the grounds are always perfect. Very well lit at night (and a power bill to match).

I'd have to think you'd be as safe there as anywhere (nothing is 100%). We used to live about 500 yards from there and never had any issues other than chickens crowing.

You would be about 4 miles from the beach (10 min drive down the hill). Thats to Lydgate beach which has lifeguards, a rocked in swimming area, restrooms etc.

Most of Kauai is pretty safe. There is some crime, mostly property crime from Ice addicts. So don't leave anything of value in your car esp. at out of the way beaches. If you want to be extra safe, go to populated beaches rather than the isolated spots especially at night. There is a problem with drugs/homeless on some beaches. And occasionally that leads to visitors camping being hassled.

Under $60/day is hard to do here. The abs. cheapest places are 2 casual hostels on the north end of Kapaa. Some pretty funky looking accomodations for about $30/day. They are a step up from camping on the beach, but not a big step. I've no idea of the names or how you could contact them and I wouldn't recommend (just on general principle) them to a woman travelling alone although I see plenty of backpackers going to and from both.

You could try innparadisekauai.com. Major charges a bit more but if you ditch the breakfast and handle your own food he might cut you some slack. His place is about 1/2 mi. from Rosewood and very safe. I have stayed there (personal friend) and it's quite nice. Fresh coat of paint on the outside (my arms are still sore).

Have fun. It's a nice place to visit/live.

California
Level Contributor
907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dirt Cheap place to stay in Kauai?

A dirt cheap place to stay would be in the dirt. Don't let the feral chickens attack you!

boston
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dirt Cheap place to stay in Kauai?

If you don't mind a hotel room, you might look at the Coconut Coast Resort in Kapaa. I have stayed there for around $60/night, and you might be able to get a better price for a week. It is safe there and convenient to a shopping plaza and downtown Kapaa.

CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dirt Cheap place to stay in Kauai?

Thanks everyone for your great input!

L

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,749 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dirt Cheap place to stay in Kauai?

Are you really in Lodi CA?

question, do you really want to stay in someplace that is bare-bones cheap? Or do you want to be comfortable? You have a couple of great travel agencies in town, and they would probably be useful in your search! Yep-they can do cheap as well as top of the line, and you can see whom you are dealing with. It's worth a try at least.

Also in Lodi!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,749 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dirt Cheap place to stay in Kauai?

bumb-just still wondering about Lodi

CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dirt Cheap place to stay in Kauai?

Yep,

I really am in Lodi! The last few times I have stayed at the Aloha Beach Resort but this time I really am on a super tight budget.

Thanks for all the great info!

L

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,749 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dirt Cheap place to stay in Kauai?

Hey-Lodi! Hope you have a great trip! Now I will be wondering if everyone I pass in the grocery store is heading to Kauai on 13May! We will be heading to Cabo about then for our spring get away! Enjoy!

CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dirt Cheap place to stay in Kauai?

TRIP UPDATE:

Just incase anyone wanted to know the details on the place I ended up staying.

Hibiscus Hollow was great for $310.00 a week. Very clean and comfortable. Nice flowers and fruit basket from the owner. Tons of books and maps in the room. In a fairly quiet residental area. Mostly upsides but a few things to keep in mind.

1. Wear the ear plugs the owner provides. It helps with the small amount of street noise, roosters, dogs, etc..

2. There are Geckos in the house, they eat the mosquitoes and make kissing noises at night. You won't notice if you wear the ear plugs. They are small and pretty cute once you get use to them.

3. Use the mosquito repelent the owner provides.

Other than that it was great. The house has beach chairs, ice chest, beach mats and towels. Just use it as a place to sleep and shower. Best value on the island

L