We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changes on Lana`i - Jeep rentals

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Changes on Lana`i - Jeep rentals

Just an FYI regarding Jeep rentals on Lana`i. For an island that doesn't have too many changes (which is good) there is a change for Adventure Lana`i Ecocentre. Michelle is no longer with the business, and since she is who made them work so well, I can no longer recommend ALE for Jeep rentals.

Lana`i still has Dollar Rent-a-Car for Jeeps I would go with them since they have been consistent and reliable.

I have not rented from the new Hummer business, but they have had some good reviews recently.

Please do not let this change affect your interest in this very special island.

-DrV

Scotland
Level Contributor
125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changes on Lana`i - Jeep rentals

Do you think I need to get in touch with them or cancel my reservation for June?

2. Re: Changes on Lana`i - Jeep rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 April 2012, 17:02
3. Re: Changes on Lana`i - Jeep rentals

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 April 2012, 17:07
Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changes on Lana`i - Jeep rentals

Paul, that is a tough one. I was not impressed with ALE before Michelle came on board, so if I was making a new reservation following these changes, I would book with Dollar. But that is me.

The hassle with Dollar is that you have to take the shuttle up into town to get your Jeep.

Also, of note, the islands resorts had for years advised against using ALE because of poor service, but that poor service resolved during the Michelle years.

You can certainly call ALE and see what kind of reponse you get. Good luck.

Scotland
Level Contributor
125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changes on Lana`i - Jeep rentals

Thanks

I'll keep you posted.

6. Re: Changes on Lana`i - Jeep rentals

Removed on: 19 April 2012, 23:07
7. Re: Changes on Lana`i - Jeep rentals

Removed on: 19 April 2012, 23:07
Edited: 19 April 2012, 23:07
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changes on Lana`i - Jeep rentals

I have a reservation with them in August. One of the guys from this place called me on Tuesday and mentioned he was going to rebill my reservation due to chargin it from the wrong place. He said, It was place on the House rental property and I should see a credit then another charge.

Should I be concerned? Should I cancel? Will I get a full refund?

Scotland
Level Contributor
125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changes on Lana`i - Jeep rentals

If you are able to get hold of someone to speak to you are one step ahead of me!

I think I'm just panicking a bit (especially when I saw the outstanding legal action and thought it had been raised this month!) because I am so far away and I've put a lot of time and effort into getting our trip right, so anything like this spooks me a little. So for me, even if it turns out that the company is back on its feet and its business as usual by the time I get there, I would now prefer to go through the hotel so it's a little stress free. Michelle was so nice and friendly when I made the booking that her not being there now would put me off.

If you were able to pin someone down and get some kind of confirmation everything was ok with your reservation you may be happy to stick with it.

It may well all be fine, I just got the impression from what I've been told and what I have found out that there is a good chance my jeep will not turn up on the day.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changes on Lana`i - Jeep rentals

Who knows what things will be like by this summer. I am also a careful planner, and would do anything that would decrease the chance of messing up my precious vacation.

Get answers to your questions about Lanai