We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Lanai Hotel??

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Which Lanai Hotel??

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon to Hawaii, with 2 nights in Lanai! I would love thoughts & opinions on the differences between the 2 different Four Seasons hotels, and which you recommend as the one to stay?

I realize there is free access to both once we're there, but any help in deciding which to sleep at would be great!

Thanks

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Lanai Hotel??

The Lodge is on the edge of "town" such as it is so you would have easy access to the resturants and shops.

Manele is on the bay so you would have easy access to all the water activites.

It really all depends on your personal choices, waves lapping on a beach or mountain air....I sleep pretty well with eiither.

We stay at the Hotel Lanai (in the cottage) so I can't speak specifics about the rooms at either resort. We have been to both resorts and I would not hesitate to recommend either as a choice for 2 nights.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and I know you will enjoy Lanai.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,843 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Lanai Hotel??

I have stayed several times at both hotels, but bear in mind that my last stay was over a year ago. They differ greatly in atmosphere. The Lodge at Koele is inland and in the cooler uplands area of Lanaii. There is terrific hiking nearby, some of which you can do right from the Lodge. The lobby is decorated in an old plantation house style with many Hawaiian antiques, and the main building has beautiful dark wood beams. You feel a strong sense of place. There is a small, jewel like bar. The main restaurant is superb. The rooms are specious and beautifully furnished, but the AC is severely underpowered. I could not sleep there the last time I stayed and had to move down to Manele Bay. I have been to the Lodge in winter, and it actually gets cold up there, so the AC problem applies only in the warmer months. If you don't mind sleeping in temps in the low to mid-70s, you will be fine. If you need it colder, and if you are going in the summer, the Lodge could be a problem for you. It's a shame because the place has a unique personality and is wonderful in every other way.

Manele Bay has a beautiful location right above one of the best beaches in Hawaii. There is good snorkeling there when the water is gentle. There are several short but stunning hikes along the cliffs that start at the grounds, and the remains of an old fishing village occupy a spot right near the beach. The gardens are especially noteworthy, with many gorgeous tropical trees and fragrant flowers. Garden lovers will really enjoy this hotel. The rooms are large, but they vary in quality and, I have been told, in level of upkeep. It's really worth springing for one of the ocean side rooms. The bathrooms are enormous and well furbished; the AC works well, which is a good thing because the temperature is considerably warmer at the beach than it is in the uplands.

The downside is the food, which ranges from mediocre to just plain bad. If you stay here, and food matters, eat in town or at the Lodge. I wasn't too impressed by the spa, either. It's OK, but not really very good.

Lanaii is a unique place. There is a great deal of wildlife, most of of it introduced for hunters, and there are unusual and striking natural features that make hiking a real joy. It is quiet at night, although all three hotels provide entertainment at various times. It's not for everyone, but those who love natural beauty will also love this island.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Lanai Hotel??

Thanks for the great response! Very helpful for us!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Lanai Hotel??

kaleberg said it very well. I find the food at Manele not that bad, but my 2 favorite restaurants on the island are The Dining Room at the Lodge and the Lana`i City Grill at the Hotel Lana`i in town.

So look at what you are going to do during the day, and if you rent a 4x4, then you will have more freedom, but the shuttles run by the resort are just fine too. What time of the year are you going? The surf is generally the highest in the summer making snorkeling not as ideal.

On consideration, instead of staying 2 nights, I suggest 3 and then you get one night free at the Lodge, or 4 and you get one night free at Manele (so the extra night at the Lodge is free or two more nights at Manele come out to be 50% off). Also, book through a Four Seasons Preferred Partner travel agent to get the perks of a room upgrade, free daily breakfast and one free lunch credit.

Have you checked out this link on things to do on Lana`i?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29219-c2257/Lanai:Ha…

Congrats and have a great honeymoon!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Lanai Hotel??

I would second Dr. V's suggestion to extend your stay to take advantage of the free night. The shuttle fee is the same, whether you stay one night or a week. We stayed at Manele, to be close to the beach, but took the shuttle up to Koele twice and into town once. Two nights would be kinda rushed. Happy Honeymoon!

Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Lanai Hotel??

For a honeymoon, I would probably want to stay closer to the ocean (FS Manele Bay). You can come up to Koele and Lana'i City any time you want using the shuttle. But for a romantic trip, waking up and falling asleep to the sounds of the ocean is pretty special. Congratulations! I know you will love Lana'i.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,900 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Lanai Hotel??

I've stayed at both hotels several times and agree with all the comments above. I have had terrible service experiences at the Lodge although the hotel and grounds are absolutely lovely, and the golf and hiking superb. But Manele Bay is very special with Hulopo'e Bay and the excellent snorkeling and swimming, I'd probably chose that and visit the Lodge for a day to hike or golf and walk the property.

I agree to extend to three nights and rent a Jeep or better, a Hummer, and spend a day exploring the extraordinary island, especially the near deserted beaches with awesome WWII shipwrecks. I really love the place!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Lanai Hotel??

I have just been reading the posts and I am also trying to decide where to stay in Lanai. I really like the look of Lanai Hotel, BUT it is very far away from the beaches. Does anyone have any recommendation of where to stay that is close to the beautiful beaches in Lanai? P.S. What are the airlines that fly from Honolulu to Lanai? I could only find one.

Thank you

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,635 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Lanai Hotel??

Aloha,

The only hotel next to the beach is the FS Manele Bay.

Island Air flies in/out of Lana'i. Mokulele Air does also, but I wouldn't use them.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Lanai Hotel??

Do you know how much that hotel is per night roughly? Which beach should we be trying to get close to?

Get answers to your questions about Lanai