We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lanai day trip

New York
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Lanai day trip

I am staying on Maui in Feb and am interested in a day trip to Lanai and only priority is snorkeling.

Is there a top snorkel recommendation that would be good for a less confident swimmer (she does wear a vest) It would be ideal if a shallow area were available, or any boat tours.

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lanai day trip

I'd grab the first ferry out of Lahaina in the morning (6:45am) and walk over to Hulopo'e Bay. It's only a 10-minute walk to get there. There will be waves, but the bottom is pretty regular.

Bring over water and a picnic lunch in a cooler and you're all set.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,461 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lanai day trip

The Trilogy Lana'i trip is one of our top excursions on any island. They feed you, take care of new snorkelers and generally make you feel welcome and safe. It's an amazing day.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lanai day trip

completely agree with mamma.

we did the trilogy-lana'i snokel trip last year and absolutely loved it. the snorkeling was in a very easy area. you can also snuba, if you're interested.

the catamaran sail was my favorite part...a pod of spinner dolphins following/leading us. very cool.

the crew was top notch, as well.

Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lanai day trip

I second Shankapotamus' recommendation. I usually prefer to do things on my own schedule and not in a group. Plus, taking the ferry over and walking to the beach saves a lot of money. I noticed your screen name is "budgetqueen" so I am assuming you are looking for the best deal. :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,690 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lanai day trip

I agree, I'd go with the ferry and Hulopo'e. We have had fantastic visibility and snorkeling there in winter and it's nice to be able to lounge on the lovely beach with a picnic or to grab lunch and a cocktail at Manele Bay in between snorkeling bouts, as well as walking the short trail to Puu Pehe.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lanai day trip

The easist, but most expensive option is with Trilogy as suggested above.

Another option is to take the ferry over and snorkel on your own at Hulopo'e Beach (where Trilogy goes). It is only a 10 minute walk from the ferry dock. This is a much cheaper option, $60/person round trip. You would need to bring rented snorkel gear and vest along from Maui, as there is none available for rent on Lana'i. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.go-lanai.com/

In addition you will still be able to look for whales (in season) and dolphins from the ferry, with the exception that the ferry will not go out of its way to get a better look. Once on Lana'i you can also take a nice short hike up to Pu'u Pehe Overlook (Sweetheart Rock), where you will have great views of Maui and Kaho'olawe. There are also great tidal pools to check out around the beach. You can also take the 5 minute walk up to the Four Seasons Manele Bay Resort and check out the great artwork and beautiful gardens. Lunch at the Ocean Grill there has great views although it is fairly expensive. Otherwise you can bring a picnic lunch and have it right on the beach. There are picnic tables, as well as facilities and showers there.

You can also get a day pass on the shuttle that the resorts run on the island. It is cheaper than the Jeep (something like $10/person), but of course only takes you on the paved roads. It is at the ferry dock for all boat arrivals, goes to Manele Bay, stops at Hotel Lana’i in Lana’i City (from which you can explore the small town – have lunch and check out the shops and galleries), and ends up at the Lodge at Koele. It runs every 30-60 minutes depending on the occupancy of the resorts and the time of day.

My only warning is that you will have such a good time on Lana'i that you will not want to return to Maui at the end of the day. ;-)

New York
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lanai day trip

Thanks you all. I'm about set to just take the ferry as suggested, since I would like more time snorkeling. :)

8. Re: Lanai day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 06:19