We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lanai honeymoon away from crowds

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Lanai honeymoon away from crowds

I've been thinking about doing a honeymoon in Maui+Kauai, but now I'm wondering if Lanai might be a better choice for avoiding crowds. Does anyone know of good places to stay in Lanai away from crowds and resorts? Maybe some private little cottage on a beach somewhere?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,476 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lanai honeymoon away from crowds

The choices on Lanai are limited.

There is the two Four Seasons, one on the bay and one near town.

There are no beach front rentals to the best of my knowledge, just a couple of homes in town.

There is the cottage at the Hotel Lanai. That is where we always stay. It is on the edge of town, detached from the small hotel itself. Very quite and very private.

You are correct about the crowds, there never has been any when we have been there. It is the smallest of the islands you can stay on. About 3000 or so people live there. Town is just a few square blocks. One gas station, three food stores and half a dozen or so resturants outside of the hotels own.

Edited: 14 June 2013, 17:30
LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lanai honeymoon away from crowds

There are no "private little cottages on the beach" on Lanai.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lanai honeymoon away from crowds

thanks guys!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,250 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lanai honeymoon away from crowds

Peter, *nothing* on Maui is like Oak Street Beach or Waikiki on Oahu. Kaanapali is buzzier than I like, but look at Kapalua and Wailea. Look at condos in South Maui here: www.mauiownercondos.com Look at Makena Surf, Polo Beach Club, Wailea Ekahi, Hale Pau Hana -- all beachfront. Look at The Palms and Maui Kamaole, both newish with ocean views and a stroll from good beaches.

Lanai City, HI
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lanai honeymoon away from crowds

Aloha Peter M,

(This will be brief as I own a business on Lana'i that's also rated by TA reviewers and can't risk running afoul of TA's Business Owner's rules.)

We moved from Chicago to Lana'i after spending our 20th Anniversary here..Let me just say that BrightonBill's comments are "spot on!" When I saw your query "Lanai Honeymoon Away From Crowds", the first thing I thought was: "On Lana'i, you ARE away from crowds!" Feel free to PM me...we've stayed at all 3 establishments mentioned by BrightonBill and love them all!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lanai honeymoon away from crowds

Aloha Peter,

As others have said, there is not a private cottage on the beach on Lana`i, but there are many beaches that you can drive to on a 4x4 that are private. And the one beach resort, Manele Bay, only has about 200 rooms, so it is not a big resort. The beach in front of it is never crowded, but there are people there, and is one of the nicest beaches in all of Hawai`i.

What time of the year are you planning this honeymoon? If you are counting on great snorkeling, summer is not the best for Lana`i, as the main snorkeling area faces south and is vulnerable to summer swells coming out of the south making the surf too high.

Here is a link to "things to do on Lana`i". Please read it over to get a better idea of what the island has to offer (and not offer) and then you can decide if it is the place for you.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding and have a great honeymoon whereever you choose.

-DrV

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lanai honeymoon away from crowds

thanks! Drvalgemae, I don't see a link?

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lanai honeymoon away from crowds

Sorry Peter it has been a long week. :-)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29219-c2257/Lanai:Ha…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lanai honeymoon away from crowds

thanks!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,802 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lanai honeymoon away from crowds

Peter - I think you are overreacting. This is your first trip to Hawaii ... your honeymoon ... and you fear mobs of people. I understand. But there isn't much on Lanai. So for a few days, maybe an overnighter from Maui - fine. But a week -- no. I doubt that your bride would approve, either.

You're probably run ragged with wedding and travel plans ... plus work and all the everyday responsibilities. But do you really want Lanai?

Get answers to your questions about Lanai