We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Service - Reservations?

Newcastle, Ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Service - Reservations?

We were hoping to go to Lanai for a day of snorkelling and exploration when we come to Maui from February 1 - February 8. Do we need to worry about reserving the ferry ride for 4 adults before we get to the Island or can we wait and see what the weather is like say a day or so before we want to go over to Lanai. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,441 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Service - Reservations?

February is a busy time---but you should be good if you allow 2 days ahead instead of one.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Service - Reservations?

If you have a lot of time and flexibility in your schedule you could probably wait. The popular times though do sell out and the people who live there...that is their way to get back and forth as well so I would assume the weekends may be busier.

Newcastle, Ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Service - Reservations?

Thank you so much - we have our days fairly booked with what we planned on doing but really wanted to get to Lanai for some beach and snorkeling time. Do you have to pay in advance for the reservation on the ferry? If not I could book it and then if we find we don't have the time or the weather is not co-operating then I could cancel a few day before? Would you recommend going as early as possible - seems that the advice here is to do any snorkeling as early as possible in the morning before swells start at that time of year? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,441 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Service - Reservations?

Unless Expeditions has changed its policy-you can cancel up to 24 hours ahead. But be warned they MEAN 24 hours. So I'd cancel at 30 hours, LOL.

They didn't use to charge your card until the day of travel.......but TB4 will know for sure.

I would take the earliest over and either the 2:00 or the very last back. The 4:30 one can be rougher than the other two in my experiences.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Service - Reservations?

I am not sure if you can book without paying...checkout the website and see what it says. Sorry I didn't pay attention! We stayed a couple nights last time so I paid ahead because we knew we were going then. I would go early and come back late. Snorkeling over there is usually at its best in the winter. In the summer it gets the swells and sometimes it is the place to surf and you have to snorkel in a different place and the visibility is not as good. We went in March and snorkeled at all times of the day and it was good. That bay didn't seem that affected in the afternoon.

Edited: 06 September 2013, 03:00
Newcastle, Ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Service - Reservations?

Thank you so much (by the way the dog is beautiful - think I told you that before - family is partial to Shepherds) Thinking of taking the advice on the forum by catching the ferry, the the walk to the beach for snorkeling, bring our own lunch for a picnic, then perhaps catching a shuttle to see the town. Also want to see Sweetheart Rock and go through the Four Seasons. Just wondering about the order of things ? Snorkel, Sweetheart Rock, Four Seasons and then the town?

Mentioned in this post
Sweetheart Rock
Sweetheart Rock
25 Reviews
Lanai, HI
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry Service - Reservations?

Ok just found it. Advanced reservations are required.

Cancellation/Change Policy:

Reservation changes and/or cancellations must be made prior to reserved departure time, and MUST be done by calling 800-695-2624 or 808-661-3756. Web reservations CANNOT be changed/cancelled online. The full amount will be refunded to any reserved or ticketed passenger who provides notice of cancellation, at above phone number(s) at least 24 hours in advance of already reserved departure.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry Service - Reservations?

I'd walk to sweetheart rock..get hot :), snorkel go up have maybe lunch or something at 4 seasons then town...not much to town! Also, there are a couple good restaurants people go to in town as well. Search Lanai forum for ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Newcastle, Ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry Service - Reservations?

Thank you so much - so I guess we could wait till we get to the Island and then see what the weather will be closer to the end of the week and make our reservations then. If we plan on going over to Lanai during the week - should be a better chance than say on the weekend. But it is a busy time of year - my oh my what to do.

Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry Service - Reservations?

Lanai is often very good weather...especially the bay where you snorkel. I believe they get very little rain there. Most of the rain on Lanai is up in mountains and by the town.

Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii