We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos in Lanai?

vandy12
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos in Lanai?

Hi TA,

My wife and I were planning our first vacation to Lanai when I came across a couple forums online where people have mentioned that Lanai has a LOT of mosquitoes on the island. I have been to the Big Island, Maui, Oahu, and Kauai and have had only minor issues with mosquito bites (once in a botanical garden and once in Hana in Maui) but they are a big concern for the two of us. We have really sweet blood and bites on us grow to the size of silver dollars, so it really affects our vacation if we get bitten.

So if we stay at the Lodge in Lanai for 5 nights what are the chances of getting bitten? Thanks!

Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos in Lanai?

We've had a lot of rain this winter, which brings mosquitoes. I would just use precautions when outside. I use Avon's Skin-So-Soft instead of the typical bug repellant. The chances are good that you may encounter some mosquitoes near the Lodge.

vandy12
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos in Lanai?

Thanks for the help! :)

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos in Lanai?

You will likely have much less problems if you go down to Manele Bay, the dry side of the island with good ocean breezes that seem to keep the bugs away on all my past visits.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,399 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos in Lanai?

Aloha,

You could bring mosquito-repellant clothing.

Be sure to bring the first-aid treatment you normally use for bites, just in case you need it.

Have a great time on Lanai.

Aloha

Honolulu
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos in Lanai?

I'm staying at The Lodge on Lanai tonight and was just awakened by a mosquito singing in my ear. Was bitten twice on the arm last night, even with the ceiling fan on. The recent heavy rains have indeed been the culprit. But you're no better off at the coast. The mosquitoes were relentless at the poolside restaurant several months ago after a prolonged dry spell. But don't it spoil your holiday! Skin So Soft works pretty well as a repellent.

6. Re: Mosquitos in Lanai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 22:04
Edited: 24 April 2014, 22:04
7. Re: Mosquitos in Lanai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Lanai