We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ellison buys Hotel Lanai

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,576 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Ellison buys Hotel Lanai

…bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2014/07/31/bil…

1. Re: Ellison buys Hotel Lanai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 02:06
Edited: 02 August 2014, 02:06
2. Re: Ellison buys Hotel Lanai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 02:11
Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,411 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ellison buys Hotel Lanai

Well, I've removed both of my posts. Nobody asked or did. Isn't that amazing?

I don't know. After he buys the place what is he going do? Except for a bit of Lana'i Ellison owns it all. You better be good to Lana'i Ellison. Regardless of how much money is is your checking account.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ellison buys Hotel Lanai

OK, why did you remove your posts Caddy?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
48,148 posts
1,547 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ellison buys Hotel Lanai

Well, will it be a good thing, or one not so good?

I could see Larry Ellison converting the entire Island of Lana`i into a personal playground, for himself and close friends, or maybe not - perhaps a great destination, which we found, about 18 years ago.

Time will tell.

Hunt

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ellison buys Hotel Lanai

I hope he does right by Lanai and it's people. That is all.

Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
East Coast
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ellison buys Hotel Lanai

Kind of odd to own Lanai and not own the beaches. I guess if you own the airport and the docks you don't have to see too many people on the beaches...

Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ellison buys Hotel Lanai

Thanks Shea that is very interesting. I am cautiously optimistic. Things seem to be moving in the right direction for the island since Mr. Ellison's original purchase, at least that is what I hear from the island residents. I don't think buying one additional small piece of property on the island will somehow drastically make everything bad. The key with this purchase is to keep the hotel small, quaint and reasonably priced.

It is interesting that the property had been up for sale for nearly a year and Ellison initially was not interested.

Another important thing is to get the restaurant back open, and not try to change what they had too much. The Grill really was one of the best places to eat on the island and different than the resort restaurants (in a good way).

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,411 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ellison buys Hotel Lanai

So far from what I've notice (which is not very well informed or accurate as usual) I am somewhat optimistic about how Mr. Ellison has progressed with Lana'i.

But I hear he made a better offer and snatched away "Hotel Lana'i" from DrV. Sorry DrV! :)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,357 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ellison buys Hotel Lanai

DrV, the restaurant is still open.

Edited: 02 August 2014, 19:15