We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui for the day?

Oregon
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Maui for the day?

My husband and I are going to Lanai for a week in March and are thinking of going to Maui for a day.

What should we do? Should we go? Is it worth to leave Lanai?

Thanks in advance

Lori

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,686 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui for the day?

It all depends on what you want.

Lanai is laid back, uncrowded and peaceful. The downside to Lanai (if you can call it that) is there is limited shopping, resturants and nightlife. If you take the ferry over to Maui you can explore Lahina, do some shopping, have something to eat and get a little taste. You will find it pretty crowded but then if it wasn't good it would not be crowded.

Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui for the day?

I've heard a few people say that once they got on Maui, they could not wait to get back to the easy-breezy Lana'i. We may take a day trip next time, but our first priority would be to check out Moloka'i before Maui. I can't wait to hear what you think of Lana'i. My husband and I are totally in love with that island! Have a GREAT time!

Oregon
Level Contributor
72 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui for the day?

Lori, depending on what you are looking for, I think a day in Maui would be a nice change of pace. If you are just interested in shopping and seeing the town of Lahaina, I would recommend taking the ferry over and back. You can easily walk around Lahaina in a day, have lunch, and return to Lanai. In my opinion, Maui has much more beautiful areas other than Lahaina, which would require more than a day (and renting a car) to see. I've been to Maui five times, and once to Lanai last year. We loved Lanai for the beauty, peacefullness, quality service, good snorkeling and golf.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui for the day?

How long is the ferry ride?

i have read it is only $25 per person...

Thanks!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui for the day?

Find out when a ship is in and plan to visit on a different day. Some ships dock at Kahului (and bus people into Lahaina) and some ride at anchor off Lahaina itself.

If you want to see more than just Lahaina, rent a car and go north to the "top" of Maui and south into South Maui (Wailea, Makena). If you go to South Maui, use the Piilani Hwy, not pokey Kihei Road. You might like to drive upcountry to Haleakala.

Oregon
Level Contributor
72 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui for the day?

Tee801

You can see the Lahaina to Lanai ferry schedule at http://www.go-lanai.com/

They also have fares posted. If you go, just ask the FS conceirge to book you tickets for the time you want to depart and return. I doubt the ferry is sold out, but a day's notice would probably suffice.

Happy travels,

PNW Mom

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui for the day?

Tee801,

The cost of the ferry is $25 per person each way.

8. Re: Maui for the day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 10:36
Get answers to your questions about Lanai
Recent Conversations