We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need tips on cheap eatin' on Maui

Greenwood, South...
Level Contributor
217 posts
357 reviews
Save Topic
Need tips on cheap eatin' on Maui

My husband and I have eaten at some of the best restaurants on Maui. This year we're going to eat out at only Mama's Fish House and the Prince Court's Sunday Brunch for our "high end, but awesome choices", and put our money into other activities and such.

So our question is: What are the least expensive, BUT GOOD restaurants around Kaanapali?

Also we are staying in a time share, so we have a kitchen. I heard that the groceries are more expensive than going out to dinner? What are your recommendations about this dining strategy?

Aloha!

Lake Tahoe
Level Contributor
301 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need tips on cheap eatin' on Maui

two words...plate lunch.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need tips on cheap eatin' on Maui

Bella, buying food at the market and bringing it back is almost always cheaper. Try the Star Market up off Honokawai for some great deli selections as well. When I was there last fall, the deli guy was famous for selecting and weighing (and pricing) your purchase, and then piling more in! Try this later in the evening nearer to closing to take advantage of these types of "specials"!

For eating out inexpensively, try Jonny's Burger Join below Giovanni's for really good burgers, fries and nachos. Sunrise deli on Rt 30 has wonderful breakfasts and lunches. And the Honolua Store makes out of this world sandwiches for lunches, or you can select from their packaged stuff (sandwiches, salads, etc.) to bring back to the condo or for a cheap dinner on the beach.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
708 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need tips on cheap eatin' on Maui

Penne Pasta Cafe has always been a good choice for us when we're looking for something good, filling and rather inexpensive. The seating is limited, but if you can snag an outside seat, that's your best bet. Otherwise, you can get it to go and eat it at your condo. They have great pasta dishes, pizza and salads. And the best part is nothing is over $15 (most items are well below). It's just off Front Street on Dickenson.

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need tips on cheap eatin' on Maui

Try Honokawai Okazuya and Deli... the number of people waiting for their orders should tell you that this place is good. Good food, reasonable prices for the quality and quantity.They cannot ring up the orders fast enough... save time by phoning in your order after you get a menu. 3600 Lower Honoapiilani Road.

Try C.J.'s Deli in the Fairway Shops near the Maui El Dorado... sandwiches etc. at reasonable prices.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need tips on cheap eatin' on Maui

Another vote for CJ's Comfort Zone. Great food. Good prices. We got their Hana box lunches when we went to Hana last July.

www.cjsmaui.com

We also love Moose's in Lahaina. They have great specials for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

mooserestaurantgroup.com/moose%5Fmc/…

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need tips on cheap eatin' on Maui

get the book -"50 thifty places to dine in Maui"- great resource! You can order it on Amazon or just look it up and it lists the table of contents- inexpensive restaurants listed by location. Aloha!

Roseburg, Oregon
Level Contributor
35 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need tips on cheap eatin' on Maui

The best meal we had was the grilled Ahi tuna, spring greens salad with balsamic vinaigrette and ciabatta crostini, a bottle of Bordeaux to wash it down....on our lanai at the condo! It was also the cheapest! (We got everything at Costco, that is the cheapest way for groceries, especially in comparison to Star Mkt.)

We saved a LOT of money by cooking meals in, so we could splurge on the meals we ate out.

Also, Aloha Mixed Plate is fantastic, in a GREAT location (especially if you go at night because there is live luau music coming from next door-Old Lahaina Luau) and cheap! The Mahi Mahi plate was excellent!

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need tips on cheap eatin' on Maui

The largest clump of reasonable restaurants "near" Kaanapali is in Lahaina. Then, Kihei, after that ;)

Aloha :)

Greenwood, South...
Level Contributor
217 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need tips on cheap eatin' on Maui

THANK YOU ALL for such great tips and recommendations. I have written them all down in my notes. I truly think that my husband and I won't break the bank and max out our credit cards on food with all of the information that each of you gave us.

With the number of responses to this post in just one day, there seem to be many "like-minded" visitors to Maui out there.

I also read that Maui Tacos is a good place as well.

Ciao and Aloha from Bellavita in SC, USA.

P.S. I'll keep reading and updating information from new posters too!

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need tips on cheap eatin' on Maui

I second the Okazuya Deli and Moose's and Da Kitchen