We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand wailea- having second thoughts

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
93 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
grand wailea- having second thoughts

You'd think once I finally made my reservations I could just be done!

We are staying in a 3 bdr condo in Napili for 10 days, then we are planning to go to the Grand Wailea for 5 nights. Chose GW for the combo of great pools and great beach on a different part of the island.

My parents have decided to travel with us, so we'll need to get 2 rooms at the GW. We'll end up spending twice as much money at the GW for half the time of the condo (effectively 4x cost/night). My question is, is it worth it? Will I regret it??!!

I realize that no one can tell me how I'll feel, but I'm looking for folks with GW experiences to tell me what you think

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
419 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand wailea- having second thoughts

Our friends stayed at the GW recently and said it was absolutely wonderful. I have been told it is amazing experience - if you take advantage of the pools and all it has to offer. On this forum I have asked about chosing between the GW and 4S and most people said the 4S for service and serenity. However, the GW looks so much nicer on the website and in their brochure (the pool at the 4S looks nothing at all special). Anyone who I ever spoke to raved about the GW. It you don't care about fancy pools, do not want to eat every meal out and all, then it probably isn't worth it.

Several people did suggest a condo to me but it is not a consideration for us. On vacation, I want everything a great hotel offers!

Check out all the reviews on it. Good luck!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grand wailea- having second thoughts

Depending on when you are going I know the pool chairs get taken early so you must get out there early to get chairs. We like the 4S better.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grand wailea- having second thoughts

Kids or no kids? How old are your parents? Will they be into the pool scene and a hopping environment? Is money an issue for them? Will they be with you the entire time?

Does the condo in Napili have air conditioning? We found that air conditioning in at least the bedroom was necessary for us.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: grand wailea- having second thoughts

One idea would be to stay fewer nights at the GW; three should give you time to see/do everything there. Will your parents be with you the entire two weeks? (Would be too much "together time" for moi.) Perhaps your parents won't enjoy GW as much as the kids anyway?

I don't know how close your family is, but my DH and I woudn't be terrible happy sharing quarters with parents for more than a few days -- a week at most.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grand wailea- having second thoughts

I don't think you will regret it at all. It's a fabulous resort. If you are at all concerned about your budget than you could opt for a Wailea condo, Ekahi Village is wonderful. Take a look on mauiownercondos.com for rentals there.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grand wailea- having second thoughts

Is it possible to extend your stay in Napili 2-3 more days and do GW 2-3 nights? It will really cut down on your costs. I read here someone spent 2 nights at GW, checked in early and checked out late so they were able to spend 3 full days and she said that it was just enough time to enjoy everything there before they went to a condo.

We are doing the same in June, condo for a week and GW for 3 days. I really wanted to hire GW's onsite photographer to take family photo's so I downgraded from a deluxe garden view to a terrace view in order to compensate for it. I figure we will be out at the pools and slides and beach all day and that the memory of an ocean view room will fade unlike the family photo's which will last a lifetime. Just tweek your budget, see what you can do without, 2-3 days at GW is probably enough and it'll be worth it if your kids are really into pools like mine are. I'm sure you'll have a great time! Aloha! :)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
93 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grand wailea- having second thoughts

Wow, thanks for so many quick responses

We have 3 kids, ages 5, 7, and 9. My parents are 60ish, and don't be going down slides, etc, but they do like lazy river types of pools, and they enjoy watching their grandkids in the pool, getting in and splashing around with them, etc.

To the money question, anytime you start getting over $350/night with 2 rooms, it's getting a bit spendy. I really like nice hotels (4*), but I'm always trying to be thrifty.

We could knock off a night or 2 at the GW. That might work.

Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: grand wailea- having second thoughts

My DH and I have stayed at the Grand Wailea Resort twice and thoroughly enjoyed both times. They have beautiful grounds, fun pools, great spa. You can't go wrong! And we never had any trouble getting lounge chairs at the pools. Yes, it was crowded, but aren't most swanky resorts? We didn't let this ruin our fun!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: grand wailea- having second thoughts

We stayed at the Grand Wailea in November of this year and thought it was great. We don't have kids (yet), but I think your kids will absolutely love the pools - they're fantastic. It also has a great beach. We didn't have any trouble getting chairs by the pool, but I've heard that can be an issue depending on what time of year you are going - just have to get down there early to get a good spot. The hotel can be pricey, but I think you will thoroughly enjoy your stay, and the whole family will remember it as a great vacation.

Park avenue...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: grand wailea- having second thoughts

I know I highly regret not staying at the Grand Wailea once I saw the pools. When I went I didn't know about trip advisor.