We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rat Lungworm Disease

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rat Lungworm Disease

Will be traveling to Maui for 10 days at the end of Sept-Oct.7th! While I was looking at different

tours available for a trip to Hana I came across a page on Rat Lungworm Disease in Hana!

Should we be concerned about this or cancel our trip? How would someone know where the

produce or Shellfish comes from at different restaurants and resorts? Do they post this somewhere?

Was so excited for our trip to celebrate 40 years of marriage and my husbands retirement but now

a little frightened by this information! Thanks for thoughts and information anyone can share!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
19 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
25,847 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rat Lungworm Disease

Complete over reaction. No need to cancel your trip.

2. Re: Rat Lungworm Disease

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 August 2017, 12:56

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,590 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rat Lungworm Disease

No, Maui has NOT had 15 cases of RLD. That is completely untrue.

Maui has had 6--SIX--cases of RLD, and none since January. Of those six, it is believed that only two actually got the disease on Maui, since the others had all been to the Big Island before becoming ill (where the disease is much more prevalent).

Again-we've not had a single confirmed case since the end of January.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,590 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rat Lungworm Disease

Here are some resources for you:

…hawaii.gov/docd/…risk_in_hawaii

https:/…faqs.html

and a prior thread with some more info for you:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220…

Don't eat slugs, snails, or unwashed produce and you should be fine.

There are river shrimp and crabs in some parts of Maui, which you should also avoid. You won't find those in any restaurant.

Edited: 21 August 2017, 01:35
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
5. Re: Rat Lungworm Disease

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 August 2017, 21:58
Edited: 21 August 2017, 21:58

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,590 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rat Lungworm Disease

Bill, there have been 15 confirmed cases in the whole state this year. The most recent was just early this month-on Oahu (the only confirmed case on Oahu, BTW).

I agree that it's a very small number-and my point was that the *real* number of cases on Maui is even smaller and old.

Not sure why you're attacking me for posting accurate facts, but whatever!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rat Lungworm Disease

Debbie we have had a number of people concerned since this started. Although I don't live on Maui, I did stay about 2 months time in March, April and June. I ate at restaurants with no issues. As we have said in the past... no restaurant/ hotel would want to be the cause of the spread of this and they have been very careful. Come enjoy your trip... you will love it!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rat Lungworm Disease

I no longer eat local lettuce, or local raw kale or spinach.

Dallas
Level Contributor
25,847 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rat Lungworm Disease

I no longer eat slugs or snails....

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,590 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rat Lungworm Disease

Placebets, as an aside--I recently read a review of an unlicensed tour guide for Hana--that "wowed" the person by picking raw snails off the bank in Hana and showing the person how to eat them. The reviewer **raved** about how wonderful they were.

All I could think was "Are you kidding me?". I sure hope that person doesn't get sick-and that if they do, they tell their doctor where they were and what they ate :-(.

The only thing I stopped eating was produce from road stands that I can't wash. Otherwise, I still eat everything I always have, including local greens (not kale, blech) and fruits.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Reply to: Rat Lungworm Disease
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted