We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haleakala Crater

Divonne-les-Bains...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Haleakala Crater

I am going to the Haleakala Crater during January, ask if its safe during January

thank you again for your your answer

Mentioned in this post
Haleakala Crater
Haleakala Crater
6,980 Reviews
Maui, HI
12 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,628 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haleakala Crater

Yes, though it can be wet, cloudy, foggy, and totally dry all within the drive :-). Have you driven on mountain roads much? It's all paved, but not lit and has a lot of hairpins turns. It's only two lanes wide, with a few places where it's only one lane wide.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haleakala Crater

Hiking inside, or visiting the summit?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haleakala Crater

The last seven eruptions have all occurred in January. That's not to say that the next one will happen this January (or any January), but when it comes to lava, you can't be too careful.

WA
Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haleakala Crater

You'll not see an eruption at this volcano. Only recently upgraded from dormant to inactive...and if it was suddenly active you wouldn't see a typical eruption, only pyroclastic flow

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,628 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haleakala Crater

Sunny, Sunny.........what are we gonna do with you, LOL!

I hear the next flow will traverse Oprah's land and make a lovely new road to Kihei-oh, whoops, but then it will cover Kihei like Royal Gardens :-0!

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haleakala Crater

First, Sunny was joking, second #4 has no idea what they are talking about. This is an active volcano with 10 eruptions over the last 1000 years, but nothing at all currently going on. Certainly predicting that if it did erupt it would be pyroclastic is ridiculous.

Divonne-les-Bains...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Haleakala Crater

Hello,

I am used to driving on mountain roads. I live in the french Alpes - basically the "Mont Blanc" is one of the highest montain in Europe.

And by the way, I am a man.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,628 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haleakala Crater

Ahh, thanks for the gender tip :-).

You will do fine on the road to the summit.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Haleakala Crater

"only pyroclastic flow"

Um, yeah. I'm sure that was supposed to be reassuring, but pyroclastic flows will kill you regardless of how smart, fast, or observant you are if you're in the wrong place. A substantial amount of the devastation caused by the eruption of Mt. St. Helens was the result of pyroclastic flow.

The slow moving flows that can be seen on the Big Island will only kill you if you're stupid or incredibly unobservant.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,225 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Haleakala Crater

Will you be hiking?

Reply to: Haleakala Crater
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted