We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun family friendly things to do

Belmar, New Jersey
Level Contributor
269 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Fun family friendly things to do

We're planning a vacation to Hawaii next August, and will definitely be staying at Aulani for 5 nights. We have another 6-7 nights and are thinking about spending them in Maui. My girls will be 8 and 11, any suggestions on fun things for them to see/do?

13 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
70,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun family friendly things to do

Plenty here on Maui! Without knowing more, it's hard to rec things though. What do your girls like?

If they like the ocean, maybe a snorkel lesson with Mel at Ocean Project, or a snorkel trip? A day Upcountry (with or without the summit of Haleakala), check out the Surfing Goat Dairy Farm? A visit to the Maui Ocean Center? A walk through Kepaniwai Heritage Gardens and I'ao Valley? Part of the Road to Hana? Surf lessons?

Level Contributor
38,830 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun family friendly things to do

A luau might be fun for them to experience! 🌸🏝🌸🏝

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,770 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun family friendly things to do

You're flying in and out of HNL? You could enjoy staying another location on Oahu...maybe Turtle Bay...but, sure, a week on Maui would be great. I'd look for a condo in either West Maui or South Maui. West puts you closer to Lahaina Town, and to the Old Lahaina Luau there. South is closer to destinations like Road to Hana (sometimes too long a day for kids) and Haleakala (sunrise, sunset, anytime of day). The Maui Ocean Center is south, too.

*I* would cut a day off Aulani if you need it to create a full week on Maui. Are you OK with losing 4 - 5 hours, door to door, on each flight between islands?

Best decide fast and book your rental car and condo for Maui. Hawaii is *busy* any time mainland schools are on holiday.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,247 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun family friendly things to do

Grab paper and pen ... or a clean screen ... and scroll down this (Island of Maui) Forum. Your question is a common one, and you'll pick up a ton of other great info as well. Same goes for the Oahu Forum.

Do you have maps of Oahu and Maui? Very important. Do you have travel guides for both?

Note that Aulani is isolated ... and Ko Olina is not very developed yet. And there is no Downtown Disney (I wish!) or amusement park stuff. You will want a car to explore the North Shore from there. Perhaps spend a couple nights on Waikiki.

I love Aulani for the art ... love to drive up there for lunch. Fun to browse ... but you will want to break-out and see the Island.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun family friendly things to do

our kids were similar ages on our first Maui trip. They still talk about the Maui Ocean Center. They are already telling me that we need to go back next summer. I highly recommend booking the "behind the scenes tour" - it is only $15 per person, and well worth it. (you do need to book the behind the scenes tour ahead of time, at least during busy season)

We all loved our day at Kapalua Beach, and a snorkel trip (we went to Honuloa)

Edited: 23 September 2017, 05:49
Iowa
Level Contributor
14,070 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun family friendly things to do

Hi Melissa,

Our granddaughters are a bit younger than your girls, so I'm dreaming of the day they're your girls' ages & we take them to Hawaii to really get to explore the islands. I know they'd love Aulani, so that's a possibility, but we'd definitely do some Maui time as well.

The one can't-miss activity would be a snorkel tour/ocean life lesson with Mel at Ocean Project. theoceanproject.net/The_Ocean_Project/Maui_O… We hear nothing but raves and praises about this from friends and forum members. It's a great way to start your family off right with a love of the ocean, learning how to appreciate it safely, as well. Call Mel and have a chat, they really want to design a day that suits your family!

Edited: 23 September 2017, 15:14
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun family friendly things to do

They'll love the Aulani. I don't know if snorkel lessons are available but they have an artificial reef that the kids would,have a great time in and you don't have to worry about the open ocean. There are also the 4 lagoons for them to explore too.

Maui Snorkel Tours with Suzzy Robinson also gives snorkel lessons, wonderful lady and love her company!!

At that age I would take them to the Maui Ocean Center and on some type of boat excursion. Perhaps to,the summit of Haleakala too!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,247 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun family friendly things to do

At the Hyatt on Maui (Ka'anapali Beach) - there is a "star show" where you all go up on the roof and the astronomer has super telescopes of various types. He is your guide - and it is great! Kids welcome! You will want reservations for sure.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,099 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun family friendly things to do

If you are looking for some fun, family evenings check out Na Lio ... http://www.naliomaui.com/our-horses and Ulalena... http://www.ulalena.com/ Both are wonderful and very different shows.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,488 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fun family friendly things to do

I agree with SW and Teri about a tour with Mel and the Ocean Project. It is completely private for your family. They specialize in educating the kids (and their parents) on things about the ocean and then they show how to snorkel safely. It was the best thing I ever did for my family when my kids were that age and we still have great snorkel trips together.

Reply to: Fun family friendly things to do
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted