We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whales in March, location?

Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Whales in March, location?

We are going to Maui for the first time in March 2018. Staying at Inn at Mamas the first few days and then Napili Kai Beach Resort for a week. Looking forward to whale watching, never been before. Will we be able to see them well enough from land with binoculars? Would like to avoid a boat tour but if they're worth getting a better view, than we would consider one. Which side of island has the best chance of seeing them? We have an ocean front room reserved at NKBR and hoping we can see them from our lanai. TIa for your help.

34 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whales in March, location?

You will have no problem seeing whales from shore. The Napili Kai is a great location too. I most definitely would do a whale watch tour. Nothing like seeing these magnificent creatures up close and personal.

Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whales in March, location?

So a tour is a must then? Any recommendations which one?

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whales in March, location?

Hi Tink If you want to save some money, the early bird at 7:30 on Hawaiian Ocean Project is great - under $30 . There are very nice tours on Trilogy and others where you are served food, around $60.

Definitely schedule one early in your trip. You maty very well want to go again :) I'm really glad you were able to book NKBR!! You are going to have a great trip

Dave

hawaiioceanproject.com/whale_watch_tours.php

Edited: 23 September 2017, 17:10
Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whales in March, location?

Thanks Dave! I'll check out those tours. Hoping they aren't rafts. Our backs are still recovering from a Kaui raft tour.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,496 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whales in March, location?

You will see them from both areas in March although the majority of them will be on the Napili Kai side. Between Maui, Lanai and Molokai is the highest concentration of whales. Sometimes they come really close to shore and sometimes further out. I highly recommend a whale watch because you can see them a lot closer than from shore. By law you have to all stay away from the whales 100 yards or more...however often the whales come closer to the boats. Dave gave a good recommendation for a large boat if that is what you prefer. I prefer the rafts and go out on Captain Steve's Rafting. Below are a couple links to my blogs that will show you what you may see on watches.

https:/…

https:/…

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,496 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whales in March, location?

* saw your raft comment haha....there are catemarans etc you can take also...and the raft trips for whale watching on Maui is not at all like the Napali trips on Kauai LOL

Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whales in March, location?

Thank you travelbugged! That Kauai raft was killer LOL! Sounds like a tour is the way to go then and may be a once in a lifetime experience, so excited!!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,496 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whales in March, location?

Yes the Napali tours are killer LOL. I have done them a few time and love it but never sure my body will be in one piece when I get back haha. Tours are very fun. I am showing examples of very good trips...sometimes the whales aren't as active and the aren't "trained" to perform...but it is very cool to see them out on the water.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whales in March, location?

I think you'd enjoy several whale watches :-)! I love the rafts too, and don't find that the morning trips are rough.

You will easily see whales from shore at Napili Kai, and probably hear them too when you are underwater.

Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whales in March, location?

We made the mistake of sitting in the front row because our daredevil daughter wanted to. I ended up moving to the back after going through some waves that made me feel like my back was breaking, it was crazy! Hubby stayed in the front with our daughter and ended up having to see a chiropractor on the island. Didn't ruin our trip though, still had fun. Anyway, excited to see whales and no, don't expect them to perform just want to see the beautiful creatures :)

Reply to: Whales in March, location?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted