We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haleakala and Paia itinerary help

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
128 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Haleakala and Paia itinerary help

We have reservations for sunrise at Haleakala, and thought this would be the best day to explore Paia. How long is the drive from Haleakala to Paia? I read things don't start to open until 10 or 11. Any suggestions of what to do while waiting for Paia to rise? lol. We also want to hit Ho'okipa Beach to watch the water sports people. What's a good time for best viewing? We are really open to anything I'm just kind of at a loss. I even considered maybe running to Twin Falls. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Ho'okipa Beach Park
Ho'okipa Beach Park
1,157 Reviews
Maui, HI
Twin Falls Maui
Twin Falls Maui
338 Reviews
Maui, HI
Tasting the Best of Maui Farm Tour
1 Review
from US$325.00*
Free Cancellation
Maui: Heavenly Hana Tour
12 Reviews
from US$164.00*
Free Cancellation
Full-Day Maui Tour: Road to Hana Tour
12 Reviews
from US$145.00*
3 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,702 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haleakala and Paia itinerary help

From the summit to Paia is about an hour and a half, maybe a few minutes less. I would come down the mountain after checking things out, and wander down to Kula Bistro for breakfast. Or, you could go farther down the coast to Ulupalakua, and try Grandma's. From Kula Bistro to Paia will still be around an hour and a half; from Ulupalakua, closer to 2 hours. Then I would work my way over to Paia through Makawao and via Baldwin Avenue.

Or, you could go to Paia right away-Charley's is good for breakfast and opens early. Then you could drive to Twin Falls, check it out. Turn around and stop at Ho'okipa on the way back (no turning against traffic this way). No way to say if surf will be up or not :-).

Remember to leave NOTHING in your car. If you have anything you must leave in it at Twin Falls, Ho'okipa, or Paia----put it in the trunk ahead and don't open the trunk at any of the places. These are 3 of the worst places for car break ins.

Mentioned in this post
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Kula Bistro
Kula Bistro
830 Reviews
Maui, HI
Makawao
Makawao
Maui, HI
Charley's Restaurant
Charley's Restaurant
929 Reviews
Maui, HI
Twin Falls Maui
Twin Falls Maui
338 Reviews
Maui, HI
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haleakala and Paia itinerary help

Great! Thank you

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,702 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haleakala and Paia itinerary help

You're welcome! Enjoy.............Upcountry is my fav or almost fav area of Maui. Here's a thread I did about some of it a couple of years ago. Most of the info is still correct though a few things have changed:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220…

Mentioned in this post
Upcountry Bed and Breakfast
Upcountry Bed and...
144 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Reply to: Haleakala and Paia itinerary help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted