We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip review pt 2

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
153 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Trip review pt 2

This is a continuation of my review.

For pt 1 go here

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220…

sat, beach, Lahaina & luau

Had to wake up early at 530 (very little sleep). The sounds of birds and chickens were pronounce. Mainly watched college football. Afterwards got ready to head to the beaches. Went to Lahaina & attended luau & hula shows.

malu’aka beach

A good beach with a view of a hill to the south as well as distant islands. Very little people, only 2. Went to nearby Keawala'i Congregational Church. What an old historic church. The cemetery is unusual, unlike some cemeteries in the mainland. Raised concrete with headstones in the back (its the same in some caribbean islands). There were lots of leis (the one similar offered at some luaus) were laid on the headstones. I've seen flowers in many cemeteries but not leis.

wailua beach path

Took my walks along this path. Walked along the Ulua, Wailea & Polo beaches. There was a black rocky shoreline to the south of Polo. Good trail with ocean views and a small heiau or a historical site. Wailea looks like a suburb of CA, so much similarities.

lahaina jobo mission

Not much to see but still interesting, especially the architecture. It looks more like Japan than Maui.

lahaina cannery mall (hula performance)

The hula performance (mostly done by very young kids and some teens) were outstanding. Not bad for a free event. You could tell that these people have a lot of pride in their culture and very interested. The mall on the other hand is ok.

Lahaina

Always interesting when walking through the streets of Lahaina. Somewhat crowded but not like those in NYC, which is impossible to walk and explore. Saw some shady people. Went to the old prison (which doesn't look like a prison). Ate at Ululani's shave ice (always good; ice cream at the bottom still bizarre). Strolled through The Outlets of Maui (very few people). Surprise and saddened that the hard rock cafe is no longer there. The banyan court is an interesting place with one of the most unusual trees on the planet. There was an arts fair taking place at the park. Saw some familiar people (including the tall black guy who surprisingly recognize me after all these years, purchase gifts from him last year). Chatted for a while. Left for the luau.

Old Lahaina Luau

Yep, I went back to this luau again. Always top notch. Sat at the very front. I was afraid that my back, which I'm having issues with will not handle the long sit down, but at the end handled with no problems. A variety of arts & crafts as well as activities are abound. The unveiling of the kalua pig is always interesting to watch. Food was good. Service was quick and prompt. Seatmates were from various places (Toronto, Boston, Seattle; but hardly any “okies”). The performance is always spectacular. The free banana bread was good. While it may be touristy, commercialize & expensive, it is still worth going and the expense.

Afterwards went back to Lahaina and walk up and down front street. Returned to condo.

sun, central/south maui

Very little did anything (sundays are usually my downer day) other than hiking and beach.

waihee ridge trail

Trail is extremely tough from the beginning but gets better afterwards. Moderately difficult trail overall. Parts of the trail hugs a dangerous cliff drop that will lead you to six feet under if you're not careful. Looks like the trail has been redone; used to have tons of roots. Trail can be muddy at times with lots of bugs. Worth the hike for stunning views and the distant waterfalls as well as burning all that fat from eaten at the luau. FYI: The road leading to the trail is road to hana-ish with similar twist & turns, a good way to test your insanity before doing the real thing.

Maui mall

Didn't go shopping but went to see the hula show. A great display by those young kids & adults. But those doggone flies were relentless.

kihei kalama village

Looks similar to a flea market selling all kinds of gifts.

Horhitos mobile taqueria

This is one of the best fish tacos I ever eaten. Reasonable price and friendly service.

Back at the condo watching football and chowing down tacos.

Kama’ole Beach Park 2 & 3

Walk to the beach and went in the water for a little while. Sat while trying to dry up. Sky was murky to the east and was afraid that I wasn't going to see a sunset. But all that change when the sun broke through the clouds. As it was going down the sky was ever changing. Oh my freggin gawd the sky and the surface (including the water) turned to pink (I'm NOT kidding), then eventually to yellow, and to orange. At the same time the sky/clouds displayed all kinds of colors (reds, orange, pink, yellow). My god It was so unreal. I was so awed by this strange phenomenal (as was everyone else). Couldn't believe it.

Returned to the condo afterwards, an hour later went to the pool.

Up next Hana & upcountry.

5 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip review pt 2

Thanks, Chris! Aren't Maui sunsets amazing sometimes? Glad you enjoyed the luau again, too.

United States
Level Contributor
2,909 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip review pt 2

Nice installment. :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,225 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip review pt 2

Thanks Chris for a great report. Sounds like a lot of fun!!

Level Contributor
38,818 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip review pt 2

Which suburb of CA does Wailea remind you of? Nice report! 🏝🐠🌸🍍

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip review pt 2

South Orange County. Irvine, Newport Coast, etc. It all looks the same.

Reply to: Trip review pt 2
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted