We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Planning Advice

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Planning Advice

We are planning a trip to Maui for our 40th wedding anniversary. Looking at May 22, 2018 to June 5, 2018. Our anniversary is June 2nd, so we are trying to include that date. We have picked out a condo we are interested in.

https://www.vrbo.com/694469

We were on Maui 15 years ago, stayed at the Sheraton. We thought we would stay in the Wailea area this time. The last trip we did a lot of the big stuff, helicopter ride, Mt Haleakala Sunrise, RTH, Maui Ocean Center, blowhole, and more! This trip we will be more relaxed! Planning on going up Mt Haleakala during the day, and the RTH. We will decide as we go. I would like to explore Upcountry.

Any comments on this? What do you think of the condo, and the weeks we have chosen?

10 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Planning Advice

May is my favorite time in Hawaii, no problem there. The condo is very nice and I love the location!!

Go to Ulupalakua Ranch when upcountry, go get a cinnamon roll and cup of coffee at Grandma's Coffee House, yum!!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,987 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Planning Advice

Love the condo! Except for being ground floor. But that's because I like to leave the lanai door open all the time, including at night. That wouldn't be an option for you there.

But you are right on Keawakapu Beach, and that is amazing! The beach is wonderful, and you can walk all the way north, to the Mana Kai, and just keep going, by the Surfside, across the green space, and then follow the trail to the Kihei Boat Ramp. You could even go further, and end up at the Kamaole Beaches!

Or, head the other direction on the beach walk, and keep going all the way to Polo Beach, where the Fairmont Kea Lani ends. It's another beautiful walk. Lots of people out early in the morning, walking and running this path.

I like your plan for Haleakala during the day. You need reservations for sunrise now anyway. And with staying in Wailea, you only need to look east, and you will see Haleakala in all her glory, so you can pick a nice day to head Upcountry.

So much to see and do Upcountry as well, you will have to pick and choose which places to visit!

And congratulations on your anniversary! You will have lots of options of great restaurants, for your special dinner. Gannon's would be nice, as it is so close. Up at the golf course, so you would have a panoramic view of the area from up there.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,497 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Planning Advice

It looks fine to me... but honestly for that price I would actually want to see the ocean not just hear it and have a peek a boo view. Maybe that doesn’t matter to you but it does to me.

Jacaranda trees will still be blooming so you can see and smell them upcountry.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Planning Advice

Yikes, that's pricey for being off the water! Though you are going to be here over Memorial Day, the price is too high to me.

Have you looked at Elua, Mana Kai, or closer units at Ekahi?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,257 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Planning Advice

15 years ago? It's been a long time ... so do dig into new maps and a travel guidebook or two. (Our first trip was 17 years ago ... )

Personally, I would go earlier in May and avoid Memorial Day.

Just a reminder that you can pick up great information by simply scrolling down this Forum. We talk about activities, accommodations and restaurants constantly. And check out the Top Questions off to the right-hand side of the screen.

(How about Haleakala at SUNSET! Ooooh!)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,770 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Planning Advice

There is no photo of the view from the lanai. Looking at the schematic, I'd guess that's because you look at the parking area. I would rather be a little farther from the surf line and have a quiet, private ocean view from the condo and the lanai. The interior looks very nice, and I can see two split-system A/C units.

What else is available in Wailea or South Kihei? South Maui is more convenient for OGG, Road to Hana, Haleakala and Upcountry.

Visiting before mainland schools get out for the summer will be good. May is a favorite season.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Planning Advice

“But that's because I like to leave the lanai door open all the time, including at night.”

Condo break ins aren’t outrageously common, but being on the second floor is not a huge deterrent if somebody wants to steal your camera and television.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,987 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Planning Advice

ChiSue, pictures #16 and 19 show what I think are pictures from the lanai. One is during sunset.

I can't tell what room is looking at the parking area, and what rooms have the view towards the ocean. Kihei Road dead ends there, so I can't imagine there would be much traffic there in the evening.

If you are not someone that needs AC, the Kihei Surfside is another option. Mana Kai and the Surfside share the same driveway. They are set back from Kihei Road, so you don't get the traffic noise that other places in south Kihei may have.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Planning Advice

Thank you so much for all the feedback! I am looking at some other options in the same complex that are less expensive. The trade off is that they are studios, and up the hill from the beach. However they have better views. So we will have to decide what's more important! People have said the walk back up the hill with beach "stuff" is a little difficult. Thinking of buying a cart at Costco that would work for the two weeks, and we could leave it behind. One or the other of us seems to be up at night, that's why I was considering the one bedroom.

Thanks,JOan, for the good wishes! I am excited to celebrate this milestone. We have been planning on this trip for some time.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Planning Advice

That sounds perfect!

Edited: 23 October 2017, 15:28
Reply to: Trip Planning Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted