We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Molokini

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
495 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Molokini

Is this a good area to snorkel, the aerial view of this crater is spectacular, saw it on a Hawaii show on the travel channel...considering taking a trip here..any reviews or expieriences...tour group recommended?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,571 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Molokini

If you type in molokini crater in the search box you will see reviews.

We have been twice and enjoyed both trips.

You have a couple of options, basicly small boat or big boat and both have their good points. We opt for the larger boat mainly because they have a small breakfast on the way out then open bar and lunch on the way back plus the one we used stopped off and a couple of the crew dive down and bring up some sea creatures to do a little eco show with.

You will notice some folks say there are not many fish out there but we found quite the opposet. I have underwater pictures of over 25 diferent species we have seen.

Like most activites you will get a wide range of opinions, as for us we will do it agin next visit. it is a nice half day on the water, decent snorkling and the opportunity to see all sorts of things from dolphins to turtles.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Molokini

It's a unique snorkeling opportunity, a deep-water snorkeling experience in very clear water in an eroded crater lined with coral. The fish are not "up in your face" the way they are in very shallow water, but they are there.

The boat ride adds a lot to the experience imho. Also imho, if people have snorkeled at places where fish have been fed (a BAD thing) they may expect the fish to "swarm" around. That's not natural behavior and then the people are disappointed becuse they don't get swarmed.

We've gone on Paragon and Trilogy and like both. Pick a trip that leaves from near where you are staying. We also went on a zodiac type trip that went to tha back wall (more advanced) but I won't go again because the ride back, fast on choppy water, was too bumpy for my tastes.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
495 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Molokini

The travel channel show I saw showed divers and snorkelers both seeing dolphins and they dolphins were kinda playing with them...very cool...Thanks for the info....I will most likely do this...Trilogy has been mentioned before may use this company

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Molokini

Some good reviews above. Molokini seems to be the Hana of the snorkeling part of Maui. You either love it or hate it. We love it. The clearity of the water is one of the biggest draws for me. On a good day we have seen it at 200'+. The fish are not abundant but there is still a lot of them. You see coral and the seafloor as it should be. A never ending current flows through and keeps it clean plus being a sanctuary there is no feeding what so ever. Unlike many shore areas where people feed fish often (usually things unhealthy for them) and many bays have stream runoff flowing into them which can cloud water and also can contribute to blooms of brown algae. If you look at the photos I have on my profile you will see the difference in areas. Put your cursor over the pic and it will tell you where it's from.

Many people complain that the cost of going to Molokin is too high but when you figure in you are taking two meals out of your daily budget it can bring down that cost substantially.

I am also a firm believer in the smaller boats. (40 passenger or less) Paragon and Trilogy both seem to get many good reviews. You will find that most morning Molokini trips offer some kind of breakfast & lunch on their trips and many offer alcohol drinks after your last snorkel stop except for Trilogy. Our favorite is the Aqua Adventure. The crew and boat are awesome. Some nice things that Aqua offers is snuba, a scuba like experience that only goes down 20' max and only requires a short training class on your way out to Molokini. They also offer a DVD vid of your trip which is so great to show friends and family. You recieve it in about a month. It's also nice to have something to look forward to after your return home since everyone hates to leave Maui. Aqua Adventure also offers use of wetsuits for free which I highly recommend when snorkeling anywhere in Maui. They help with floatation, and even at 80 degrees the water can get cold. It just takes a little longer. With a wetsuit it allows you to stay out longer because you aren't burning as much energy to stay afloat or keep warm. My 12YO son and I did the snuba this last July and it was an amazing experience.

Look at the three mentioned tours links below. Each has different things about it. Paragon is less expensive but does only one stop. Trilogy is BYOB so if you want something to drink, alcohol or not, you need to bring it yourself. Aqua and Trilogy both go to two snorkel areas but are higher in price.

Aqua Adventure

www.mauisnorkelsnuba.com/snorkel_trip.html

Trilogy

sailtrilogy.com/adventures/molokini_booktest…

Paragon

http://www.sailmaui.com/molokini.htm

Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Molokini

We have used Trilogy on 2 occasions. Once to Molokini and once to Lanai. Going again to Molokini in May. We love it! They have always treated us right!

6. Re: Molokini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 04:17