We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching in first week of April 2018

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
579 posts
13 reviews
Whale watching in first week of April 2018

Is the season of whale watching still on when we visit ? If yes, please advice company that has positive review. Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,804 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Whale watching in first week of April 2018

First week of April yes :). Last year we had great whale watches all the way to mid April. What kind of boat are you looking at? Captain Steve’s is my favorite and they are a large raft. Gemini is my favorite catamaran and Hawaii Ocean Project has a great large boat.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,947 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Whale watching in first week of April 2018

Absolutely! You'll have a great time for whales then, especially staying at Nanea.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
579 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Whale watching in first week of April 2018

This past summer we spent 150$ each to watch whale, no luck.

So we plan to watch whale if we can see them rather than on the boat to see blue ocean although it’s not a bad idea anyway.

Arrive 2nd week of April.

SW, when you say stay at Nanea, it’s better. What do you mean ? Can you clarify ?

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
579 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Whale watching in first week of April 2018

Hi travelbugged4,

The boat I was on is “ zodiac” fit 8 passangers I believe. It was really windy, shaky, and bumpy due to lots of waves. Feel the money I spent was wasted. I don’t have much experience in taking boats. What do u recommend? Do these companies only private whale watching or other activity included for the day trip ?

Thanks

Edited: 16 December 2017, 08:21
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Whale watching in first week of April 2018

Hi Helen,

Since you didn't enjoy the zodiac experience, here are links to the other two recommendations from TB4, with details of what is included, length of tour, etc.

Gemini: geminisailing.com/tours/maui-whale-watching/ Boat details: geminicharters.com/about-us/about-the-vessel/

Hawaii Ocean Project: https:/… Boat details (scroll down to the second one) - https://www.hawaiioceanproject.com/our-fleet/

Another catamaran option (and one that we've enjoyed going out with a couple of times) - Trilogy - https:/…kaanapaliwhale Boat details - click on the link for 'fleet'.

Enjoy :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,804 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Whale watching in first week of April 2018

So not all rafts are equal... Captain Steve’s raft is much bigger than other rafts and has bench seating. Much more stable also. The whale watches are very dedicated to finding the whales and sometimes find dolphins as well. You can take a snorkel trip and may see some.. but they aren’t going to spend as much time finding the whales and watching.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
579 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Whale watching in first week of April 2018

April is close to end of whale watching season, correct, does tour guarantee seeing the whale or perhaps is weather dependent ?

Reading another post “Captain Steve's or Utlimate Whale Watch”, these two companies both have good review. What makes one choose one or the other ? Just want to hear people’s preference.

Captain’s tour seems to be the most expensive among few others that mentioned above too

Is morning tour at 8 am better than afternoon one ?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,723 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Whale watching in first week of April 2018

Any boat tour is subject to weather conditions. Book early in your stay just in case they have to cancel. April generally speaking isn't too bad!! I would go on a morning tour when you have the best chance of good conditions. The wind usually will pick up in the late morning hours.

I wouldn't pick a tour based on any guarantee, either you will see whales or you won't.

I can't comment on any of the raft tours, I haven't been on them due to back problems!!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,804 posts
47 reviews
9. Re: Whale watching in first week of April 2018

All the boat tours that I know of have whale sighting guaranteed. Whale come out in both good weather and in bad. Both companies are good. I live Captain Steve’s larger boat and the people.. but that isn’t to say Ultimate is bad. Sometimes it is calmer in morning... other times not. Just never know.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,947 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Whale watching in first week of April 2018

Helen, the Au'au Channel, which is between West Maui and Lana'i (and runs right past Nanea) is the most heavily trafficked area by the whales. That's why I said you are in a good spot. Chances are excellent that you will see whales from the beach there, but they will be farther out.

I like the rafts and have a bad back, neck and knees. They don't bother me!

Reply to: Whale watching in first week of April 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted