We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kihei road/bridge construction

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Kihei road/bridge construction

We will be coming in late on Jan 9th at 11pm. We are are renting a car from the airport as it is open the latest for our flight time. We will be very tired and is there a route we can take that I can put in my GPS already for us to take from airport to Kamaole Sands in Kihei. We just do not want to do detours etc at that time of night. I assume the above construction will affect all our excursions from our condo. thanks.

30 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
70,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kihei road/bridge construction

You want to use the Maui Veteran's Highway (also known as Mokulele Highway). When you plug in your location and the condo, select the route that uses that.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kihei road/bridge construction

No detours to Kam Sands...unless you use some map app that likes you to go the really long way. In which case, you probably won’t mind the detour.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kihei road/bridge construction

Off the top of my head: exiting the airport, make the hidden left turn at the construction, which might say “return to airport” to reach the airport road and hang a left at Puunene (AKA Mokulele, AKA Maui Veterans Highway) [if you miss it, just go to Dairy road and hang a left at Puunene (AKA Mokulele Highway, AKA Maui Veterans Highway)], after about 6 miles merge onto Piilani Highway. Google maps will tell you to turn right off Piilani onto Kilohana, this is just silly, as it’s past Kamaole Sands. Instead, turn on Keonekai, where there’s a side entrance to Kam Sands. There’s a gate, if it’s locked (and you don’t have an access code), continue onto South Kihei Road and make a left for the main entrance.

Source: Am Uber driver

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,990 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kihei road/bridge construction

When you pick up the car at the rental place, make sure you get one of their maps. I'ts a magazine type of map. They can mark out the route for you. I don't like their maps much though, as they are spread out throughout the magazine.

Did you order the air Maui map? Hoping that arrives before your departure. There are lots of free maps once you get to Maui as well. Also, you can look at google maps at home. Even print off the specific route you want, and have it handy for the drive.

You have no need to go anywhere near the bridge construction, as you are going to be in south Kihei area.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kihei road/bridge construction

Further to Sunny's suggestion of turning right onto Keonekai.....

This is what the signage looks like:

https://tinyurl.com/ycojf6qy

The last traffic light on # 31 you go through before this turn will be the "T" intersection at Alanui Ke'ali'i.

I had to find Keonekai after arriving late one nt and the 'clue' I filed in my head was hockey legend Dave Keon!

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kihei road/bridge construction

Thank you JoAn and mtinbc.......I did order map and I will follow through above......trust me we don't want to get lost and come to condo any later than we are......we will have enough tension at that time of night with loss of four hours of sleep...LOL Sincerely thanks it is very helpful to us.

I am in a festive mood so Merry Christmas to all of you and the best wishes ever for 2018. You all deserve this for sure!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,990 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kihei road/bridge construction

And Mele Kalikimaka to you and your family too hazzle-free! Hoping for smooth flights for you, and no delays at the airports. Saskatoon might be used to snow, but it can create havoc in Vancouver!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kihei road/bridge construction

“You have no need to go anywhere near the bridge construction“

Unless the OP likes shave ice...

Maui
Level Contributor
70,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kihei road/bridge construction

And lilikoi cream cheese, too, Sunny!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,990 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kihei road/bridge construction

“You have no need to go anywhere near the bridge construction“

Absolutely no need, on arrival night anyway, as the OP was asking about a route from the airport to Kam Sands.

Avoiding the bridge construction is easy for any other excursions, being so far south down Kihei Road. Heading up there is absolutely worth the drive for Ululani's shave ice though Sunny, that is for sure. And I'd be checking out the baked goods at the Sugar Beach Bakery while I was there as well!

Reply to: Kihei road/bridge construction
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted