We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Mama's Fish House worth it?

Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Is Mama's Fish House worth it?

I'm sure 10 people will give 10 different answers. I've heard great reviews but the prices are staggering. Then again Hawaii will be pretty expensive regardless I'm sure. Thoughts on whether it's worth the splurge? Recommendations for good meals that aren't so pricy? Staying in Wailea. Thanks!

103 replies to this topic
Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Is Mama's Fish House worth it?

Yes, you will get varying opinions. Mamas has been around a long time and once had less competition, so seemed wonderful to many vs anything else. Many of us think that they are 'resting on their laurels', standards have slipped especially given the BBD (Big Buck Drop). It aint that special.

I would not go anyway, why drive across the island and then drive back on a full stomach and having consumed adult beverages. Makes it even less worth it for me.

For less money you will find wonderful places in Wailea, maybe even to walk to, depending on where you are staying.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Is Mama's Fish House worth it?

I think so, but it's all subjective.

Level Contributor
39,055 posts
1,014 reviews
3. Re: Is Mama's Fish House worth it?

Totally worth it for us... Mama's was my favorite meal on Maui. We stretched our meal out to 2 hours. Loved every minute of it! 🌸🍍🌴🐠

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: Is Mama's Fish House worth it?

"...the prices are staggering."

Not sure if you've had a look at their menu, or if you meant that that's what you've heard about prices? Here's the menu which might help with the decision: https://www.mamasfishhouse.com/menus/

We haven't been in 4 previous trips & no plans to go on our upcoming one ... but based on TA reviews and feedback here, it seems like many feel it'w worth it. You've probably already read through a variety of the reviews from 'excellent' to 'terrible' ... but I find that doing that helps with the decision.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,042 posts
109 reviews
5. Re: Is Mama's Fish House worth it?

Other options in Wailea would be Gannon's, up at the golf course. Or 5 Palms in the Mana Kai complex. Sarento's on the Beach is right next door as well. Sarento's and 5 Palms are both on Keawakapu Beach.

There are lots of other options at the resorts in Waliea. I don't know that they would be much cheaper than Mama's Fish House anyway. You can save a lot of $$$ by enjoying pupus instead of a main course. And limit your libations. The mai tai at Mama's is the most expensive one I have ever had. And it wasn't even that good! Everything else was wonderful though.

Edited: 07 January 2018, 16:57
Level Contributor
39,055 posts
1,014 reviews
6. Re: Is Mama's Fish House worth it?

On our last trip we dined at Farraros @ The Four Seasons, Monkeypod, Ruth's Chris, Sarrento's, all were nice but just not the same as our time at Mama's. 🍍

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
669 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Is Mama's Fish House worth it?

Places we enjoyed in Wailea

Gannon's Red Bar for sure. Good happy hour $ bar menu and great sunsets.

Longhai's in the mall, again good happy hour bar menu.

Mulligans on the green. Fairly reasonable priced with big servings (if I recall correctly). Split an order. IF you like Reuben's, this is the place. Also Shepard's Pie.

Pita Paradise (in same parking area as Monkey Pod). Was pleasantly surprised with the breadth of menu and cost first time we tried.

Manoli's Pizza, share a pizza.

A couple of food trucks on main road heading south toward Makena Park, some very good fish tacos. Great for lunch on the beach.

Will be checking all these out again soon.

Have a great trip.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
318 posts
103 reviews
8. Re: Is Mama's Fish House worth it?

We go to Maui every year and one time I asked “why don’t we go to Mama’s? I hear it’s really great.” My bro in law said because it was overrated. So year after year we didn’t go. Then about 5 years back we actually went to decide if it’s overrated or not. To give you a background, we are used to the restaurants in Wailea and they have some of the best restaurants on the island, but that being said I can honestly say there isn’t a more Hawaiana experience and pure photo shoot op as Mama’s. We try to go every year now. It is definitely the place to celebrate anniversaries or special events. It is the place to “show off” to guests who have never been to Hawaii. This year I am excited to check out Merrimans because I hear a lot about that place as well and we typically don’t drive way up there for dinner as the other person who posted mentioned.

Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Is Mama's Fish House worth it?

I’m wondering the same thing. We’re staying at Mamas Inn for a few nights, so location is perfect. But we aren’t big fish eaters so not sure would be worth it for us. I’d love to have a drink there though 😊

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,042 posts
109 reviews
10. Re: Is Mama's Fish House worth it?

Tink, there is so much more than fish! The beef dishes are really good! And you have to try the Black Pearl dessert too. It would be so nice, to be right there, and walk across the sand to your lunch reservation!

Reply to: Is Mama's Fish House worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted