We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning maui with young children which are the nice areas

Leeds
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Planning maui with young children which are the nice areas

Hi

We are planning to come to maui in august with children aged 7, 4 and 1.

Which part of the island would be good to stay with nice hotels?

Thanks

23 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning maui with young children which are the nice areas

Most visitors stay on the western shore of the island, either South or West Maui.

If you provide some details we can help you better. What is you budget per nt in US$?

Do you really mean hotel or would a condo with a kitchen be helpful with 3 kids? How long are you staying? Any other wants/needs?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning maui with young children which are the nice areas

Do you want a hotel or a condo? A condo might be nice with three littles! :) Also I am not sure if all hotels allow 5 in a room. Also, your nightly accommodation budget will help others guide you as some areas are more expensive than others.

All areas of Maui are nice but most visitors stay on the west coast of Maui which is generally divided into Northwest Maui, West Maui and South Maui (which is still on the west side of the island). Any of these areas would make for a great stay.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning maui with young children which are the nice areas

This year will be my second trip to Maui with a little one, and I would recommend staying in the Kaanapali area (within a 10 minute walk to Whaler's village would be ideal for convenient access to restaurants and groceries) or Wailea (within a 10 minute walk to the Shops at Wailea would be ideal for convenient access to restaurants and groceries). Both areas are "nice" -- they have good beaches, nice hotels, are family friendly, and feel safe to me. Wailea (both the hotels and the restaurants) tends to be more expensive than Kaanapali, but both areas are nice.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,165 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning maui with young children which are the nice areas

How long in total is your trip? Are you still planning on Oahu and a stopover in LA? Coming from Great Britain is a long way, and I know the temptation is to try and "see it all"......but you won't.

You might well see more airports and shuttles or rental car lots than beaches if you do too many-and it will also be much more expensive. Remember you can only fly between the major islands, and flights run around or over 100.00 per person, *each flight*.

Leeds
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning maui with young children which are the nice areas

Thanks for the replies.

Budget wise i was looking at 300-350USD per night

We are there for 10 nights and were thinking of splitting the trip between oahu and maui but feel it will be rushed and costly.

Ideally hotel as i want to just relax :)

Maui
Level Contributor
70,165 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning maui with young children which are the nice areas

I would split between 2 places on Oahu. I think that will be soooo much easier and therefore more relaxing :-).

I'd look at Aulani and maybe Hilton Hawaiian Village. Both have rooms which can be booked for 5. Your budget is prob a little low, but see what you find.

Edited: 17 January 2018, 23:12
Leeds
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning maui with young children which are the nice areas

so would you not recommend maui with kids? dont want it to be too hectic

Maui
Level Contributor
70,165 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning maui with young children which are the nice areas

I would, but not with 3 and on such a long and busy trip already!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning maui with young children which are the nice areas

Maui is great with kids... however not if doing O’ahu too. As SW said.. you can split on O’ahu and see many things and have a relaxing time. Not so relaxing and a lot more money to switch islands.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,767 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning maui with young children which are the nice areas

We often say your can enjoy two islands in ten nights, but with three small children...I'd choose either Oahu *or* Maui for the whole time.

A condo would provide more space, laundry facilities, and a kitchen -- no need to actually *cook*, but convenient for drinks, snacks, etc.-- available at any hour. Many condos can arrange as much maid service as you want. You generally get more for your dollar in a condo than in hotels, with their daily 'resort fees. Most condos on Maui have free parking. A 2BR 2 Bath condo would sleep five easily, and the adults would have some privacy.

We don't care for much of the touring advice on this site, and some is actually not safe, but the lodging section is useful: www.hawaiirevealed.com

August will be very warm in Hawaii. September is the hottest month.

Reply to: Planning maui with young children which are the nice areas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted