We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costco gas station

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
578 posts
13 reviews
Costco gas station

There is only one Costco gas station in Maui which is near airport 540 Haleakala Hwy, Kahului, correct.

Meantime, I just have to fill up gas on the road where I see a station ?

18 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,042 posts
109 reviews
1. Re: Costco gas station

Yes, Costco just has the one gas station. Depending on when you are there, the line ups can be long.

Remember, if you use a credit card at another station, that sometimes you have to go in with the credit card. I have had limited success with using the code at the pump. There's a way to do that, with the numbers from your postal code.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,042 posts
109 reviews
2. Re: Costco gas station

Helen, next time you are at a gas station, not the Costco one, plunk in the three digits from your postal card and then add 00. I'd be curious to hear back from you if you were successful doing that. Sometimes it worked for me, and other times, no.

It can be a pain when you have to go into the shop and try and guess how much gas you need. Especially when it is a vehicle you are not used to driving.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
578 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Costco gas station

Hi J0an123,

3 digital of post code, last 3 digital or 1st 3 digital of my home address ?

If I understand correctly, foreign credit card can not be used in Maui gas station ? I need to estimate how much gas i need for the car ? How do I estimate ? Need some help here.

I have not booked rental car but soon, since the price is about the same these days. I might get the Standard/intermediate/compact one. What’s the main difference between standard and intermediate ? As I mention in my other post, I drive SUV which provide higher seat with version while driving. So I’m hoping to get a car similar to this, any thoughts ?

Also the road to Haleakala is curvy right, might benefit me to have a SUV car ? Thoughts ?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
395 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Costco gas station

Helen, when you buy gas in the united States and try to pay at the pump with your credit card often you will be asked to enter your 5 number zip code. In the US they use 5 number zip codes while in Canada we use postal codes with letters and digits. In order for Canadians to pay at the pump with their credit cards the trick mentioned above usually works. So if your postal code is A1B 2C3 then when prompted for your zip code at the pump you would enter 12300 (the three numbers from your postal code plus 00).

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Costco gas station

Can't you just go inside with your credit card and let them know you are filling it up? I don't think you'd need to guess in that case. They'll just charge your card after you pump.

Then again I haven't paid for gas inside in ages!!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,668 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: Costco gas station

<"Meantime, I just have to fill up gas on the road where I see a station ?">

You probably won't need to use another gas station. Maui isn't that big, and if you are doing the RTH or Haleakala (which are longer drives), you'll either pass Costco or be a very short detour from it. It's also on your route back to the airport.

Des Moines, Iowa...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
7. Re: Costco gas station

I can only speak to generalities to most gas station I have encountered on my travels. As I'm not familiar with the pump technology in Maui.

If you are using a Bank Debit card PIN number at the pump your fine, its the credit card option that gets tricky. Some stations will allow you to fill up if you leave the card inside, some won't because they are just to busy to watch for drive offs. if they don't allow to leave the card, then request an amount your think will get you about full, unless it right at rental return time that should be close enough. If you over pay, they will refund the difference BUT make sure you ask at the time of prepay if they will allow this. It does make the attendants a little grumpy sometimes for the extra work.

Edited: 18 January 2018, 15:13
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,042 posts
109 reviews
8. Re: Costco gas station

Thanks gerapau, for explaining the postal CODE trick! Sometimes it has worked for me.

Other times, I have had to guess how much to ask for, inside the shop. And yes, they want to charge the card immediately (in my experience). They don't like to wait and see how much it will be, and then charge just once. So it's pay for an amount, and then possibly wait for a refund transaction to go through. An extra step in the process.

I don't think you need to have the SUV for Haleakala at all. But if that is what you are comfortable with, then by all means rent an SUV. They usually cost quite a bit more to rent though. And of course, they use more gas. But the gas is cheaper on Maui than it is in Vancouver!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Costco gas station

Last time I visited Maui I found that the Shell stations I was able to pay at the pump with my US credit card no problem. I usually would fill up at the Dairy Road Shell before I returned the car but it sounds like that station may be closed now.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
578 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Costco gas station

thank you everyone for sharing the 2 cents. I mean it’s more than I have asked for. I’m much appreciate for the Maui thread that I have plenty of info for my upcoming trip.

Another question, can I pay with US cash before or after filling the gas ?

Reply to: Costco gas station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted