We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations please for area/accommodation for 4A and 1C.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations please for area/accommodation for 4A and 1C.

Hello, I will start by saying I haven't done a great deal of research on Maui yet (sorry), but I'm looking for recommendations for a good area and/or accommodation (self-contained) for 4 adults and 1 child (7 year old). We loved our private Kauai accommodation and I got that by just searching TA forums, but it was a bit easier when it was just 2 adults!

Driving - we will have a car the whole time (so need free or cheap parking) and don't mind a drive. We stayed on Kauai last November and stayed near Princeville and drove to the other side of the island every day bar one.

Activities: I want to do a snorkelling trip to Molokini crater, and Haleakala crater - but we really want to just swim and relax.

Accommodation: 5 nights. A nice pool and close to (walking distance preferable) a family friendly beach. Beach view also preferable.

I know this might be a big ask, any advice appreciated and thank you in advance.

31 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations please for area/accommodation for 4A and 1C.

Forgot price. No more than US$400 a night I guess.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations please for area/accommodation for 4A and 1C.

What do people think of Papakea Resort? Any recommendations for particular condos?

Seems to fit my list of requirements - direct beach access, nice pool. After going through some of the places, I realised how important direct beach access was!

Also, time of year is first week of May.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations please for area/accommodation for 4A and 1C.

Papakea is a nice choice as long but make sure you get a unit with AC. Also I am not sure if the beach erosion in that area extends to Papakea—SW will know.

If you see units you like you can post the links here for the regs to give you some guidance.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations please for area/accommodation for 4A and 1C.

Papakea has suffered from the erosion. For your budget, I think you can do better.

Look at Maui Kaanapali Villas, Kapalua Bay Villas, to start.

Skip Molokini. The sea life is far below what it once was, and there are much better trips from Kaanapali Beach :-). No need for the drive to Maalaea and back.

Edited: 18 January 2018, 15:46
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations please for area/accommodation for 4A and 1C.

What time of year are you going to Maui? Ocean conditions often change with the seasons. Take a look at Hale Pau Hana, Kamaole Nalu, Maui Kamaole, Wailea Ekahi, Ekolu or Polo beach. These are all in south Maui.

I'm one of those who like to go out to Molokini especially if staying on the south side. I do love the snorkel tours that leave from west Maui also.

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations please for area/accommodation for 4A and 1C.

Another vote for Maui Kaanapali Villas, great for your party size and within your budget. Nice pool, great beach and snorkeling

You can take the shuttle to the main Kaanapali beach for shopping and restaurants, plus the best boat tours are from there. Skip Molokini, you can do much better, it gets too crowded and sea life is better elsewhere.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
614 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations please for area/accommodation for 4A and 1C.

Though I love Papakea, I also think you may be disappointed about the beach access. The last I heard, there is some sand that appears and disappears with the tides. The beach next door is fairly steep and rocky, so you'd need to walk along the road a few blocks to reach a better stretch. Out of the many condos we've rented at Papakea, this is our favorite: https://www.vrbo.com/170050#summary

We really like Maui Ka'anapali Villas, but we don't like that the two-bedroom units are in the tower (as we prefer low-rise buildings). However, we do have this condo rented for an upcoming trip. It has an unusual floor plan because it's two studios combined. I'm not sure if this will work for your group; your seven-yr-old would probably need a sleeping pad (if they even allow five people). westmauicondos.com/property/maui-kaanapali-v…

Good luck!

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations please for area/accommodation for 4A and 1C.

There are 2 bedroom units in the Dolphin and Emerald buildings at MKV, too.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
614 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations please for area/accommodation for 4A and 1C.

Hi SW, I have searched extensively on-line and have never seen a two-bedroom in those buildings. Are they rented only through the Aston website? If you have any links, I would love to bookmark them for the future. Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations please for area/accommodation for 4A and 1C.

Thank you all so much for the recommendations - I'm off to have a browse and will come back in with some links to ones I like.

As for Molokini Crater - is it wrong that I don't care about the actual snorkelling (though I do love snorkelling) but I really just want to be near the crater? I mean, where else can you do that?

Edited: 19 January 2018, 02:53
Reply to: Recommendations please for area/accommodation for 4A and 1C.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted