We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shore or boat dives, and who?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Shore or boat dives, and who?

Was planning on doing at least 1 set of dives but still cant decide which and then ontop of that, who to go with. Seen lots of dive operators and some older threads, but looking for some more current suggestions. I was thinking shore dives may be cheaper, but the few ive looked at are only about $35 or so cheaper.

5 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,459 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shore or boat dives, and who?

If you are experienced..I would look at Ed Robinson that goes out of the south. Extended Horizons for going out of Lahaina...and they do dives at Lanai.

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shore or boat dives, and who?

The bargain in shore dives is to bring your gear and rent a tank with a fill card and flag. You can start with a day of shore diving with an operator to learn tips for entry in surf. That assumes that you are with other divers, if you are solo then must stay with a dive op. Select one based on where you are staying and where you want to dive. I am unaware that any of the dive ops that are established in Maui cannot provide a good experience.

Personally, I taught myself to shore dive and that was definitely not the easy way :-)

Lugging my gear into Honolua and fighting through the surf at Kahekili have made my wife a reluctant shore diver.

If you are interested in night dives and staying west, might want to look at a shore night dive at Black Rock. Some people find a shore dive a good intro to night diving as they have reduced anxiety.

Boat diving is excellent as well. Even though I started diving in the 70's, I still prefer a good 70' dive with pretty fishes so Molokini is great for me. The backside is a good dive for advanced divers. The allure of Lanai is not as strong with me as it is with some other divers but if it is during whale season, then you get a whale tour included.

I stay west side and use Lahaina Divers for boat dives and have had good experiences but I would feel very comfortable going with Maui Dive Shop as well. If I stayed on the south side, I would call Ed Robinson but there are other excellent dive ops.

I was on the beach at Kahekili one day and heard the pre-dive talk from a guide at Extended Horizons and thought it was effective and focused.

As for price, it is a consideration but not at the top of my list. Someone with mature guides and a focus on improving dive skills is my #1, the longer you dive the more aware of the law of averages catching up to you with regard to an incident.

I might be wrong but am sensing that you may be a relatively new diver. If so, I would stick to one of the very established operators with quality gear and a focus on advancing as a diver. That is Ed Robinson's reputation for instance.

Have fun!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shore or boat dives, and who?

Great stuff. I will be by myself, so have to stay with the guided dives. I currently just finished my NAUI Advanced, so I have a fair amount of dives under my belt, but would still consider myself new haha. True about costs, which was why i was trying to get an opinion on shore dives vs boat dives since there wasnt that much of a cost difference.

My only problem with deep dives is im a big guy and still working on my breathing, so unless they rent 100's, deep dives are quick for me haha.

Considering a night dive as well, i've done quarry night dives, but not ocean dives yet, but i do like the shore night dive idea.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shore or boat dives, and who?

I agree, either Extended Horizons, Ed Robinson, or Lahaina Divers.

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shore or boat dives, and who?

Erik, believe it or not you can stay down a lot longer. Using your first dive to just work on weighting, neutral bouyancy, and rhythmic breathing will add quality time to your dive and help your confidence to deal with any problems that arise. Working with any of the above dive shops on those topics for 15 minutes in shallow waters on your first dive will make a big difference on trip.

Sorry if it sounds preachy, as someone who has been buddy to people who go through air fast and been an over user myself, I really appreciate the difference.

Happy bubbles!

Reply to: Shore or boat dives, and who?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted