We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silly, silly question, but I must ask...

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
437 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Silly, silly question, but I must ask...

Maui locals (or anyone else that lives near an ocean), what do you do about all the hair frizz? I live in the Midwest, and my hair is super straight and tamed on all but the most humid days, which only happen a few times a year.

Something about the ocean air + humidity that causes my hair to go haywire. Not that I’m trying to look like a hair model on vacation, but I’m also trying to avoid looking like I just stuck a fork in a light socket. Mostly I use salt spray and try to encourage the beachy wave look, which my hair does decently but still there is some frizz.

Any suggestions on products or techniques to combat ocean frizz that don’t take a ton of time?

46 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,459 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silly, silly question, but I must ask...

Maui Hair...don't care :) No clue... I just go for the wild look on vacation. Maybe a leave in conditioner would work?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silly, silly question, but I must ask...

If it's long, pull it back In a ponytail, banana clip etc. no matter what you try to do it will frizz sooner or later. Really don't sweat the small stuff, it ain't worth it!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,191 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silly, silly question, but I must ask...

Wife has naturally wavy hair. In Hawai‘i, she just wears her Panama hat much more.

Good luck,

Hunt

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,971 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silly, silly question, but I must ask...

A hat is always a good idea, just to avoid a burned part on your head! And for avoiding heatstroke, as well as just helping keep the sun off your head.

Great idea for the ponytail too. My girls always have ponytails at home too. They have never found anything to work for the frizz. They live with it all year long.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,834 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silly, silly question, but I must ask...

Don Ho's viewpoint on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Qyr-JLgKk

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silly, silly question, but I must ask...

Mine is up in a loose knot most of the time. It's super straight too and frizzy from the humidity at home. There's actually less humidity in Maui than there is in the southern US ... i keep it up during the day; usually if I do something for dinner and decide to actually wash/dry/leave my hair down, the air is dry enough to keep it from looking crazy.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
613 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silly, silly question, but I must ask...

I use a spray called 450 degree Protect by Sexy Hair. It really helps with my frizzies. I take that and a flat iron with me. I don't bother straightening my hair in Hawaii, but I'll occasionally use it to tame the crown of my head and soften the ends. I use the spray sparingly, as it can make my hair look greasy if I spray it right on my part. (I first apply it to my fingers, then rub it on that area.)

Edited: 19 January 2018, 17:05
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Silly, silly question, but I must ask...

I learned this from the forum, that hair and make-up products are not worth carrying to Maui, and I agree. Nothing that I have done has worked to reduce the frizzy hair I get while on the beach anywhere, so now I just forget about it and enjoy my vacation :)

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
9,294 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silly, silly question, but I must ask...

I have naturally wavy hair that also goes a little wild in high humidity although mine is short so it’s not a big deal. I usually don’t have much of a problem with it in Hawaii though - I’ve had more fuzz in Europe. The main thing to remember is that you’re on holiday and nobody really is too concerned about it as you’ll just be one of many with the same issue. Relax - enjoy Hawaii.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
437 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Silly, silly question, but I must ask...

Salt spray and wild, beachy waves it is, then! At the very least, I feel like less of a failure for not knowing how to keep my hair in check well into my 30s, haha

Reply to: Silly, silly question, but I must ask...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted