We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2018: The Dangers of Paradise-PLEASE READ

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
2018: The Dangers of Paradise-PLEASE READ

Over the last few years, a few of us (thanks, TB4, Teri S especially) have been trying to bring more awareness of the dangers of considering Maui a harmless amusement park.

Whether it's the ocean, beaches, hiking, exploring waterfalls and such--Maui can be very dangerous and even fatal for people. Increased visitor injuries and deaths have been the upward trend the last few years, and I hope people will work to reduce them in 2018.

If you can't swim--please, please-don't go in the ocean. Just don't. It's 2018, and anyone can learn to swim! If you can't swim, you should **never** try to snorkel. Period.

Here's a link to a long thread:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220… with many excellent stories and tips.

Here are some others from the Top Question, too:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220…

178 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,452 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2018: The Dangers of Paradise-PLEASE READ

Thank you for starting this SW! Just yesterday another death at Kam 3. A guy was out alone. Please be careful especially in the ocean.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2018: The Dangers of Paradise-PLEASE READ

The first sad death of 2018, on Maui's beaches- was yesterday, of a snorkeler at Kamaole III, in Kihei:

mauinow.com/2018/…

Things to note:

1. It is a lifeguarded beach.

2. He was alone.

3. He was in knee deep water.

4. He was 50.

Soooo, takeaways? Lifeguards can only do so much; being alone increases your chance of not being noticed when having trouble; shallow water doesn't make you safe; and 50 is too young to die.

Edited: 19 January 2018, 19:54
Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2018: The Dangers of Paradise-PLEASE READ

Yep, that's what spurred me to start a new thread.

Wandering, Australia
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2018: The Dangers of Paradise-PLEASE READ

I hate to say this but I really don't feel any safer at a lifeguarded beach than at a non-lifeguarded Beach. In these stories, seems like it's usually bystanders who do the rescuing.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2018: The Dangers of Paradise-PLEASE READ

Jemmy--I think you are smart!

People hold up lifeguarded beaches as the panacea to all risk.

They're not.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
900 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2018: The Dangers of Paradise-PLEASE READ

Amen. Please be careful out there.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
437 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2018: The Dangers of Paradise-PLEASE READ

I think you guys do a good job highlighting this. I’m a good swimmer (former pool lifeguard) and I’ve been snorkeling on vacations since I was a kid, and I don’t even want to go in the ocean period anymore after spending time on TA.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,452 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2018: The Dangers of Paradise-PLEASE READ

LOL Aurora. But seriously it is sad how many people don't understand it. Many people do enjoy the ocean, but you always have to have a healthy respect for it. I hate when I see people doing things that put them one step away from serious injuries or even death. Not everything can be avoided...but it helps to be aware and use caution.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2018: The Dangers of Paradise-PLEASE READ

Thank you for reposting this

It is so important for us tourists to realize that just because Maui is like Paradise...it doesn't mean accidents won't happen...no matter what age you are

As I have read here...Never turn your Back on the Ocean

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2018: The Dangers of Paradise-PLEASE READ

I know this is going to be a really stupid question, so forgive me, but how does a sober adult drown in knee deep water? Just curious, really don't know about these things.

Edited: 19 January 2018, 21:40
Reply to: 2018: The Dangers of Paradise-PLEASE READ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted