We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best deal on rental car in Maui?

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best deal on rental car in Maui?

We will be in Maui the last week in May. We have 3 adults. What is the best rental car company for pricing and should we rent at the airport?

Maryk

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Molokini and Turtle Arches Snorkeling...
139 Reviews
from US$110.55*
Free Cancellation
Molokini Sail and Snorkel Adventure
150 Reviews
from US$117.52*
Free Cancellation
Molokini and Turtle Town Snorkeling...
75 Reviews
from US$79.95*
Free Cancellation
7 replies to this topic
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best deal on rental car in Maui?

Check www.discounthawaiicarrental.com and Costco (if youʻre a member) for the best deals. Most of us here use these. Make a no-obligation reservation and keep checking back for better deals. Reserve as soon as your dates are firm.

Yes, you should rent at the airport.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best deal on rental car in Maui?

Thank you. What size of car is best for the island? Mid size ok?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best deal on rental car in Maui?

Get the smallest that will accommodate you and your luggage. Parking spaces tend to be tight, and youʻll use less gas, which is expensive here.

Iowa
Level Contributor
13,106 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best deal on rental car in Maui?

Another good consolidator to try is www.autoslash.com

I like that Hertz is available through this company, sometimes at a terrific rate. We’ve had wonderful service with them at OGG. Just don’t prepay with any company and keep checking all three for better deals.

Mentioned in this post
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
834 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best deal on rental car in Maui?

For the "best" deal, you may want to consider renting from a local agency, like Kihei rentals or Franks. Would you consider something like that?

We come to Maui every year, haven't used a national agency in years, and would have a hard time ever going back to the "big boys". Just my opinion, but it's a good option to consider.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best deal on rental car in Maui?

A local agency can be cheaper, but they tend to have older vehicles - more of a crapshoot for quality reasons. Comparing apples to apples, they may only be cheaper vs booking direct with a major. Using DHCR, Costco or Autoslash will be more likely to be competitive with a local agency - and you can avoid MOST of the 'tales of woe' by joining the car rental company club in advance to get the short line or even go right to the car.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
665 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best deal on rental car in Maui?

You can pull up COSTCO rental quotes without any membership to see what rates are. Really easy to do. Just takes a membership # to actually book. Depending on your arrival time definitely look at the off-airport locations close to where you are straying (really easy to do a down-select on the costco website). The difference may well more than justify taxi fare to/from.

For our last trip, mid-Jan, I did an Enterprise, 40 Hana Hwy, intermediate rental reservation many months in advance thru costco. A little over $1400 for 9 weeks. Avis in Kihei and Budget in Wailea were a couple hundred higher. As we got into early Oct. the Enterprise quote for same period went above $3200 so I was a little worried about them honoring my original reservation. I did Plan B with both Avis and Budget as back-up as they had not changed at all - just a bigger taxi fare. I even called Enterprise customer service to advance our pick-up time due to changes in flight time which made me even a tad more nervous about honoring the $1400 original quote.

Got to Enterprise ($10 taxi fare plus tip) and tho the young lady did a double-take on seeing the rate in my reservation they fully honored it and were exceptionally nice and professional. Just a short wait for them to clean the car and off we were. As a note, I also added an insurance rider to my auto coverage for "un-owned car coverage" which extended my regular insurance to the rental. Cost was roughly $15 a month. Offered to show the insurance confirmation paper work at Enterprise but they said "we take your word".

In early Feb, after doing next years condo reservations, I did the same reservation thru Enterprise for 2019. $1460 for 9 weeks tho as I kept checking I found that their quote went back up to $3200+ in mid-March.

So, good luck on the rental. Travel safely.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Reply to: Best deal on rental car in Maui?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted