We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking: Travel Packages or Individual

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Booking: Travel Packages or Individual

We have been to Maui twice now. Booked with Orbitz and with Costco both as packages (car,flight,room). My question, is this the best way to get the most out of my money or should I go the VBRO route then book individually the rest. Our last visit we stayed at the Mahana, the original room we got we didn't care for but upgraded to a amazing condo. Now we are pretty attached to having at least a minimum kitchen.

Any thoughts?

6 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,114 posts
109 reviews
1. Re: Booking: Travel Packages or Individual

Do the math! Costco usually has some great deals going, so that is a bonus. But you don't get to pick your particular room. And from other posters on the forum, the price for rental cars just continues to go up and up.

With VRBO, you pay extra fees anyway. I always research condos on VRBO, and then try to find a way to book it directly from the owner.

Hope you can make it work, either way, so you get to visit Maui again!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Booking: Travel Packages or Individual

We always look at both--we price it out separately and using a package. For our trips in 2009 and 2014, a package was cheaper. Our last two trips, we did a condo and did air and car separate because we wanted a specific condo unit. For next year when we are going back to a resort, I have used this year's pricing as a test and a Costco package is much cheaper. You just have to do your homework to see what comes out better. Some people don't like using packages at all but we have done it many times never had a problem.

Edited: 28 March 2018, 16:05
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
587 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Booking: Travel Packages or Individual

I think it really depends on the amount of planning control you like to have. If you are particular about the exact condo you stay in, book things directly. I suspect in slower off-season months with a package deal you would have better luck with switching condos if the one you get is bad. In high season you will most likely be stuck with what you get as everyone is sold out.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,667 posts
440 reviews
4. Re: Booking: Travel Packages or Individual

I never, EVER book packages..... until a friend told me about a Costco deal for the Hyatt Regency that included airfare, car and resort credit all for the same price I was getting for a room alone. When I want to do a quick, one week getaway I always check Costco now, but I'd never stay in a hotel for more than a week.

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Booking: Travel Packages or Individual

Good advice from the others, price out packages and DIY - and pick the best. Feel free to post back about specific deals that you like (package or DIY) and we can help

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Booking: Travel Packages or Individual

Thank you all for your help. I kind of had been working out the individual pricing compared to the package. Just wasn't sure if there was some secret i may of been missing. Packages really are convenient. I think we are pretty set on having a condo regardless, just cant beat being able to have breakfast and coffee on the balcony every morning. Thanks again.

Reply to: Booking: Travel Packages or Individual
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted