We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport transportation to Kaanapali

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
airport transportation to Kaanapali

We are not renting a car in Maui. What are the best affordable options for airport transportation to hotels in Kaanapali?

What taxi.car servicies (indie OK) are reliable for getting around?

I am also looking for Kaua as well

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
26,962 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: airport transportation to Kaanapali

Rent a car.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: airport transportation to Kaanapali

Unfortunately, that is not an option

Dallas
Level Contributor
26,962 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: airport transportation to Kaanapali

Unfortunately then you are going to pay a lot of money to get around in both places.

If you can change your plans you might want to go to Oahu instead. They have great inexpensive public transportation, and you can pretty much walk everywhere in Waikiki.

Outer island public transportation is not so good.

Louisiana’s Cajun...
Level Contributor
508 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: airport transportation to Kaanapali

I start with www.hawaiiactivities.com

You can get ideas and prices there. You can book transfer from airport. Some of the tours will pick you up for free, others charge $30 a person.

We are actually doing both: using a car to explore some areas but paying for RTH and Haleakala tour bc I don’t feel comfortable driving those areas myself.

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,226 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: airport transportation to Kaanapali

Hi mightymelanie,

Care to share a few more details so people can help you better?

How many people in your party? Where exactly are you staying? Are you flying into OGG in Kahului?

Any chance you’ll be coming from HNL? If so, it might be possible to change your flight to arrive at JHM which is in West Maui, very close to Ka’anapali. Then a quick Uber or Taxi ride would be easy and inexpensive.

At OGG, there are several shuttle companies that will take a group of people, making stops at several hotels. With only 1 or 2 people these can be most cost effective. I don’t know much about the various companies, but we do see Roberts and Speedie Shuttle recommended & also see complaints about the shuttles.

For 3 or 4 people, a taxi would be best. Uber was not available at the airport last I heard, except for their more expensive service. But I believe you can catch it just off site.

Hopefully someone with accurate figures will come along here, but I think you’re looking at somewhere in the range of $80.

Most of us do rent a car from the airport. Maui, and Kauai even more so, are difficult and expensive to see without a rental car. If there is any chance that it could become an option, it would be your best bet.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,629 posts
435 reviews
6. Re: airport transportation to Kaanapali

Being from NYC the OP may not even have a drivers license.

Maui is a bad, bad place to be without a car. Uber service is spotty, taxis are very expensive.

SpeediShuttle is who I'd use if I wasn't getting a car.

But I would always get a car.

https://www.speedishuttle.com/

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,226 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: airport transportation to Kaanapali

Maui is a bad, bad place to be without a car.” lol, Scott, I think that’s a tad overly dramatic! ;-)

Melanie, we can help you get the most from your Maui time even without a car. It’s still a beautiful place to be. Ka’anapali does have its local shuttle. And if you happen to be staying at a Starwood property they have a shuttle that goes into Lahaina as well. Ka’anapali is a good place to stay without a car, if that’s the only choice.

California
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: airport transportation to Kaanapali

We use Speedi Shuttle to get to our place near Kaanapali from the Kahului airport all the time. Cheapest way is a shared trip and book you return at the same time to receive a discount on the return. Once at your hotel you can use taxis, Kaanapali Shuttle, or even the public bus to go to and from Lahaina town for dinner, shopping and exploring. Some hotels, but not most, provide shuttles into Lahaina. Hope this helps.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,429 posts
44 reviews
9. Re: airport transportation to Kaanapali

Kauai is even more isolated that Maui in regards to not having a car rental . . . when is this trip? Is it all booked? :)

Maui
Level Contributor
72,098 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: airport transportation to Kaanapali

It's totally survivable to do Maui without a car :-). And you can have a great time, too!

Do give us more info and we can help better. Teri's tip about flying into JHM is a very good one, if you can make that work.

Reply to: airport transportation to Kaanapali
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted