We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Eldorado switching from Outrigger to Aqua Hotels?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
The Eldorado switching from Outrigger to Aqua Hotels?

Hello from still chilly Canada,

I'm planning a trip to Maui for next January and we're looking at staying at the Eldorado as it meets all of our requirements for a reasonable price. We'd planned on booking through Outrigger but our travel agent just told us that reservations for January are currently on hold as the Eldorado will soon be switching from Outrigger to Aqua Hotels. Anyone on this forum have some insight into what this means? Will prices go up? Do you think they'll start doing a bunch of renos? Anything I should be aware of when dealing with Aqua? I see that Aqua already runs a bunch of places in Maui, some of which we were considering staying at.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui Eldorado
Maui Eldorado
897 Reviews
Maui, HI
17 replies to this topic
Iowa
Level Contributor
13,094 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Eldorado switching from Outrigger to Aqua Hotels?

Interesting news. You do know, though that each Eldorado condo is privately owned? Outrigger just happens to be the on site rental agent that manages a good number of units. They do book as through a hotel, with guest choosing a catagory rather than a specific unit.

People often find a better rate and are able to choose their specific unit when they book directly through an owner on sites like VRBO, or through an on island rental agency like Quam, ChasenRainbows, etc. I would first look to book your condos yourself that way, rather than going through Outrigger or Aqua, unless you have a need to book that way.

Edited: 30 March 2018, 17:23
Mentioned in this post
Maui Eldorado
Maui Eldorado
897 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
535 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Eldorado switching from Outrigger to Aqua Hotels?

Also if you booked directly, you don’t have to wait til the transition has taken place, but can just book something you want. I don’t know about Aqua, but so know that Outrigger’s take is 45 percent of gross rents (or that’s what I was told it is at Palms at Wailea, I presume it’s the same around Maui). Renting directly should be cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Palms at Wailea
Palms at Wailea
400 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Cotati
Level Contributor
326 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Eldorado switching from Outrigger to Aqua Hotels?

Part of the take of gross rents is for daily maid service and perhaps some other amenities you are not likely to receive when renting directly from the owner. Your choice.

Iowa
Level Contributor
13,094 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Eldorado switching from Outrigger to Aqua Hotels?

I don’t believe that most of the Outrigger units on Maui include daily maid service. They also charge a clean out fee, just as private rentals do.

Edited: 30 March 2018, 17:48
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Cotati
Level Contributor
326 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Eldorado switching from Outrigger to Aqua Hotels?

Teri - if that is the case, 45% is a total gyp to the owners.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Eldorado switching from Outrigger to Aqua Hotels?

Please there is no reason to comment with regard to what return that owners get from renting with Outrigger or any other resort manager. The calculation of % return to an owner is a bit more complex and has nothing to do with the the quality and operations.

The change is just underway and there will be many rumors so I sugest you cal the resort directly and to the front desk 808-661-0021 #1

Maui
Level Contributor
192 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Eldorado switching from Outrigger to Aqua Hotels?

As the former GM of the Maui Eldorado Kaanapali by Outrigger, and as someone who is still works for Outrigger, I can assure you Outrigger pays more than 55% to our owners at the Eldorado and at the Palms. As has been mentioned, there is quite a bit that factors into the revenue splits, and its not all as simple as it might seem to renters.

Edited: 30 March 2018, 20:42
Mentioned in this post
Maui Eldorado
Maui Eldorado
897 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,750 Reviews
Maui, HI
Cotati
Level Contributor
326 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Eldorado switching from Outrigger to Aqua Hotels?

There is no reason to make a lot of comments, and no reason not to either. Jeez.

Bill, thanks for your input. 45% sounded quite high, and as you say there is a lot that goes into it.

Iowa
Level Contributor
13,094 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Eldorado switching from Outrigger to Aqua Hotels?

We can always get the facts from Bill, thanks!

And I didn’t mean to discourage people from booking with Outrigger. We were very pleased with our booking on our last trip. Usually we do book a specific unit, but this time Outrigger gave us a great deal and we couldn’t pass it up.

If you book with them, watch for specials, they often have some very good short term specials. Sign up for their emails and get their discount codes when they have them.

We did like having the on site management there too. When we had a minor issue with the bedding, it was easily handled. When we switched to a larger condo after the first week the staff moved us and even put our belongings away while we were out on a whale watch. Great service, and very good people at Outrigger Royal Kahana!

Edited: 30 March 2018, 20:57
Mentioned in this post
Royal Kahana
Royal Kahana
1,133 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Level Contributor
192 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Eldorado switching from Outrigger to Aqua Hotels?

And, keep in mind Outrigger employees are at the Maui Eldorado front desk through the end of May. They won't know Aston/Aqua's future plans, rates, or unit availability. It would be best to contact Aston/Aqua directly for questions about the resort for June 1, 2018 or later.

Mentioned in this post
Maui Eldorado
Maui Eldorado
897 Reviews
Maui, HI
Reply to: The Eldorado switching from Outrigger to Aqua Hotels?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted