We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alternative to "road to Hana"

Florida
Level Contributor
674 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
alternative to "road to Hana"

I have read many reviews and I'm concerned about our son(10 yrs old) getting car sick on the road to Hana. Is there an alternative where we could do a little hiking (1-4 miles round trip), jump off rocks into a waterfall, see a blowhole, etc. The pictures for the road to Hana and seven pools looks great but seems like an awful long drive. We are staying at the Grand Wailea, not sure what city that's in. Thanks for the help.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alternative to "road to Hana"

First of all, good luck getting your son out of the Grand Wailea pools! We were there last year with my eight year and he loved it! Waterfalls, slides, lots of pools, Tarzan jungle rope and a sandy pool. TONS OF FUN!

We didn’t do the road to Hana and a great alternative we found was the Iao Point and Valley. I only wish we would have spent more time there. Plan at least half a day there to hike and explore.

Also visit the Maui Aquarium. That was another highlight for us.

Florida
Level Contributor
674 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alternative to "road to Hana"

Is there a place to go swimming in a waterfall at Lao park? The pool does look great. We have already reserved a cabana for our first full day there knowing that we would not be able to get our son to take a tour without going in the pool first. We leave May 5th. I can't wait.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alternative to "road to Hana"

When we were there we saw locals swimming there at Iao Valley. Looked like fun but they did say that the water was cold (as it would be on the Road to Hana). Go to Iao for the beauty. He’ll get his fill of swimming at the Grand Wailea.

When we were there we’d go to the pool at about 7:00am or 7:30 and stay until 11:30am then leave the resort for lunch and sight seeing. We’d return for evening of swimming then have dinner at the resort. They have a nice breakfast place on the terrace for the 2nd floor.

I highly recommend Hummu’s for a first night dinner. My son still speaks about the GW and is disappointed that we will not be going there this next trip. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Florida
Level Contributor
674 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alternative to "road to Hana"

Is sounds like you have been on the road to Hana. Is there a way to turn around anywhere. Maybe we could just ride an hour then turn around. I keep reading about different areas but not sure where they are located- Waianapaapa state park, 7 pools/oheo gulch. Are these at the beginning of the road to Hana or the end. Still not conviced we want to miss it. That's why I was thinking maybe we could only do a portion of it. We will definatly go to Lao Valley state park. Just looked it up and looks great. Thanks again for your help.

Texas
Level Contributor
544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alternative to "road to Hana"

I've always thought swimming in waterfall pools involved more danger than I wanted to risk. Besides the bacterial infections you can get, most are difficult to get in and out of because of slippery rocks. I'd stick to the swimming pools and take pictures of waterfall scenery.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alternative to "road to Hana"

JJPCheees,

No, we did not do the Road to Hana. No regrets here.

Maybe others out there will be able to give you some advice on what a good turnaround point would be.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alternative to "road to Hana"

the black sand beach and the 7 pools are toward the end of the road but worth it in my opinion. If you have a convertible i think your son would have less chance of getting sick. If you space out your stops that could also help alleviate some of the car sickness. My husband and I went all the way around about 4 years ago and had no trouble with car sickness but we haven't taken our kids yet.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alternative to "road to Hana"

JJPCheers- Iao Valley is a good alternative to Hana. And past Kapalua- westside, you can watch the Nakalele Blowhole.

My sister is in Maui right now and did the Road to Hana with her kids (10, 8, 4) last week and she said it was "the road from he!!!" It is the "KING of are we there yet roads." Her 8 year old vomited 3 times and her 4 year old vomited twice! She knew her kids are very prone to carsickness, and I warned her of all the turns and even tho her kids got sick, she said they were glad they did it and that it was a great adventure. She said the kids felt proud and invincible after doing RTH.

I, on the other hand, couldn't subject my kids or myself to that as I know I get pretty carsick easily. I'd go INSANE with 3 kids in the backseat for 3-4 hours each way and why be miserable on vacation? I'm sure RTH is beautiful, I'll do it by helicopter one day or will be quite happy just looking at pictures of it. So it all depends on you and your son and if you really think it would be worth it. I'm sure he'll be quite happy just hanging out at GW!

Another alternative is to stay one night in Hana and give your child some chewable dramamine. aloha!

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: alternative to "road to Hana"

JJP cheers I have the same questions, but my reasons for not doing the "whole road" is because I have an evening engagement I can't cancel, but the day we are doing the drive is the only possible day we can do it! Good luck with whatever you decide. I will have a full trip report when I get back, esp. since this forum has been so helpful!

FIMauibound:

I wanted to ask you, since the black sand beach, 7 pools etc are closer to the end, do you think it is "do-able" to just drive directly from Wailea to the end, and not really stop before that, (maybe a couple quick photo stops)?

Also, this might be the dumbest question of all, but do you go to the end and then turn around and go back on the same route, or do you go in a circle back to Wailea?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
266 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: alternative to "road to Hana"

Yes, you return the way you came. You used to be able to drive all the way around but there were earthquakes last October or so and the road at the far end (beyond "Seven Sacred Pools") has been closed.