We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to maui....what are some "must do's" in sightseeing

woodbridge,nj
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Topic
1st time to maui....what are some "must do's" in sightseeing

hello...i will be spending 1 week at the marriott maui ocean club with my husband and 1.5 yr old son. this will be our first trip to hawaii. what are some of the "must do" sights to see. what restaurants would you recommend...we are not looking for super fancy but just good food and nice atmosphere would be nice too.

any info would be much appreciated.

thanks

mina

Wild, Wild West
Level Contributor
430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to maui....what are some "must do's" in sightseeing

Tougher question with the lil' one along so I'll play along but knowing they might not be any good for *your* situation.....

Snorkeling at Molokini

Road to Hana

Luau....most would have this on their list but they don't impress me

*** I've done zip-line's in other places but people seem to rave about Maui's. It was booked up during our stay. I won't say it's a "must do" because you can do it in alot of other areas. However, there is only one Molokini and one Hana.....

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to maui....what are some "must do's" in sightseeing

I would skip the activities listed above with an 18 month old unless you have childcare during each activity. Do try snorkeling - you and you husband will need to take turns watching the little guy so you won't be able to go out too far. If Black Rock looks too rough, drive to Kapalua for snorkeling heaven.

Your little guy may like the Maui Ocean Center and he's free. It is a little spendy for the adults though. Our kids have always enjoyed it.

Spend some time in the pool at the Marriott. A lot of time.

Iao Valley is a great stop and has some areas for your toddler to run around.

If childcare is not offered by the resort, contact thenannyconnection dot com. Its a little spendy but worth it for a night out or two.

Leilani's and Hula Grill both offer good food and a great view of the sunset and are places where kids are welcome. The are both on the beach at the entrance to the Whalers Village.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to maui....what are some "must do's" in sightseeing

Buy a cheap sun umbrella (for the toddler) and some straw mats, pick up some sandwiches and water at a supermarket in Kihei or elsewhere along the way, and go to Big Beach in Makena.

Level Contributor
239 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to maui....what are some "must do's" in sightseeing

The ocean center is a great place for kids and adults, and I agree with the others, a lot of wonderful things on Maui won't impress a litlle guy. Experiencing the road to Hana, a breathtaking helicopter ride, sailing at sunset, might be boring if your'e one. I do reccommend the Old Lahaina Luau, it's been great fun both times we've gone. Snorkeling is one of our favorite activies on Maui, you can rent gear from Boss Frogs on lower honoapiiilani hwy.

We like to go to Giovanni's Tomato Pie to eat. Big portions, not big prices, very family friendly. It's on the upper road that leads to

whaler's village, not far from where you will be. Also, Kimo;s in Lahaina has good food and nice Hawaiian music at night.

Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to maui....what are some "must do's" in sightseeing

Agree with the last posters.....but I suggest a MaiTai with your toes in the sand watching the sunset. TRULY AMAZING !!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to maui....what are some "must do's" in sightseeing

Stroll Lahaina

Road to Hana

Haleakala

Iao Valley

If you go to a luau, Drums of the Pacific has the best fire knife dancer on Maui.

www.visitmaui.com free brochure

www.mauihawaii.org

www.alternative-hawaii.com Good driving tours & restaurant guide

www.hawaiiweb.com

www.thisweek.com XXX

www.spotlighthawaii.com XXX

www.101thingstodo.com XXX

XXX - These also have free hard copy brochures that you can pick up when you get there.

www.driveguidemagazines.com Good maps & restaurant guide

www.hawaiidiner.com

7. Re: 1st time to maui....what are some "must do's" in sightseeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 13:19