We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which area to stay in Maui

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
200 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
which area to stay in Maui

We were thinking of doing priceline (hotels) for Maui. We will be there for four days. We will rent a car so we can drive to some of the sights.

Which area should we stay that is easy for parking? Nice views too. :)

If I do priceline, will you think it works? I want a really nice place, but afraid what I will actually get. So much for priceline, heeheehee.

Thank you for any input.

Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which area to stay in Maui

Quote from hubby "You don't always get what you pay for but you never get what you don't pay for". That being said, you may try to get a reservation through Priceline for a nice hotel in Maui but you may get the room above the trash dumpsters or facing the parking lot or an ugly building. If you want a room with a nice view and a decent price (its all expensive), you might think about a condo but for a nice hotel, you may just get the room that everyone complains about.

When you say easy parking, does that mean free or does that mean that you can actually find parking close by? If staying in Wailea or Kaanapali, you can expect to pay an extra $18 or so per day and may also pay a resort charge that isn't included in the Priceline quote. I would really look into getting a nice condo in an area like Kaanapali through vrbo if you really want a nice room for less. At least check the views and the prices. And if that is too costly, there are non-resort condos that are more reasonable in Honokawai and Kahana and Kihei.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
708 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which area to stay in Maui

Easy parking and nice views isn't much to go on. Do you want an area that is hip and happening, or one that is quiet and peaceful?

My favorite area is Ka'anapali. I just love the atmosphere and all the action around the area. Others love the Wailea area as it is more remote and not quite as crowded.

I've used Priceline a number of times for hotels in Hawaii and, although this is just my experience, I have always received really nice rooms. I won a bid on the Hilton on the Big Island for $132/night and they upgraded us to an ocean-view room. Also, I won a bid on The Sheraton on Maui for $178/night and our room was in building 4 overlooking the pool. That said, there are no guarantees.

Also, beware that The Whaler condo is considered a "resort" property under Priceline. So if you are hoping for a hotel, it might be better to book directly or with a discount on-line website. Nothing wrong with The Whaler, mind you, I'm actually staying there next week. But you can usually get a much better deal at The Whaler on VRBO.

Check out the website Biddingfortravel dot com and read the guidelines and tips for bidding on specific areas in Maui. It was a ton of help to me when I first started using Priceline.

Good luck!

Level Contributor
21,963 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which area to stay in Maui

Once I noted that you are from New York, I understand better about your "parking" concerns! Maui has a few hotels where you pay for parking. Lahaina's Front Street is a crowded area where you are unlikely to find a free space and will pay to park. Other than those, there is usually no fee to park anywhere and plenty of space. West Maui is more high-rise, high-density than anywhere else on Maui, so you can guess that means more traffic and fewer free parking spaces. The 4-star hotels in Wailea charge for parking. Shops of Wailea, the mall there, does not. The Whaler mall in West Maui does charge to park.

I'd be leary of Priceline, etc. unless you are visiting in an off-season. That's when a bidder is most likely to get an upgrade; hot seasons you may well get that dumpster-view room because the hotel is at capacity.

If I were coming to Maui for only four nights, I'd want a beautiful place with easy access to the rest of the island. W. Maui has beautiful places, but is the NW corner of the island with only that 2-lane connector road. Fine if you mainly want to stay put up there, but makes touring a bit more of a challenge. That said, Maui is so small, we are talking about mostly minor inconvenience.

4. Re: which area to stay in Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 22:17
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question