We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental/East side

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
19 posts
332 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental/East side

My wife and I are making our fourth trip to Maui later this summer. We usually rent cars from places like National, Budget, etc., but we know there are restrictions on where you can take these vehicles. Are there businesses you can rent cars from in Maui that allow you to go East past Hana, near Kaupo, etc.?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
2 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,788 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental/East side

You can rent a jeep from Maui Dive Shop--but still have to buy separate insurance for it. The rental will be several hundred for the day plus insurance.

The backside is closed most of the time anyway. It is undergoing major work and is also slated for a major bridge project, which is still being discussed (read: seriously argued). No known completion dates yet, last guess from a Hana friend was maybe October....

PLEASE, stay off the backside if it is open when you happen to go. Locals need that road to reach work, medical appointments, kids, and much more--I ask that you leave it to them. Mahalo.

Mentioned in this post
Maui Dive Shop
Maui Dive Shop
1,254 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental/East side

That separate insurance will be expensive. You should stay off the backside road anyway, both for the reasons given by SW and because for most visitors it is not worth it

Most visitors drive to Hana and beyond to see waterfalls, tropical vegetation, beaches, lava tubes etc - none of those things are around the back side. It is a long drive through barren landscape with little or nothing to see - most people don't find that worth paying a lot of extra money to see.

Edited: 18 May 2018, 21:02
Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Reply to: Car rental/East side
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted