We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Nanea - Please share whatever you know.

Iowa
Level Contributor
13,138 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Westin Nanea - Please share whatever you know.

We’re booked! I’ve been hoping for one of the ”exclusive” timeshare resort offers, with Nanea as my first choice. The offer came in the mail a week ago. And we worked out a plan to stay 5 nights at Nanea following 5 nights at Kapalua Bay Villas over Thanksgiving. We got a great deal with Quam there too. I’m excited because I thought we were going to skip a year to save money. But how could we pass this up...it IS saving us money, right?

Anyway, I’d love to hear any and all information that you all have about Nanea, and about the other Westin Villas as well, since it seems the pools etc are available to us there as well. I know we will not get a good view unit & that’s OK for the price.

We’ve stayed at Honua Kai and Sheraton, plus we spend time at the beach there every trip, so don’t really need info about the area, just some things about the resort. I guess this thread could be helpful to others as well, though, so if you have good stuff about the area, go ahead and add it.

Here are things I’m interested in learning about:

1. Timeshare presentation- I understand, just say NO and keep saying NO. We can do that, because there is no way that buying into Nanea would work for us. Ever. But our offer through American Airlines does NOT require us to take the sales pitch tour. I’m sure they will offer us some sort of goodies if we take it. Anyone know what that might be? If we say no, will they up the offer? Brian says he might do it for a helicopter tour! I might say OK to the tour for a Trilogy Lanai day. I think a resort credit might be most likely, since our offer didn’t include one. Could we use that to pay for parking?

2. Pools - Where are the best places to hang out? Do we need to reserve a pool chair early if we want pool time? Any adult only pools? I read no, but maybe they’ve changed it? How about the hot tubs, do they allow kids? I’m pretty sure the north KORV has an adult pool? Is that right? Is there a difference in pool service at the different pools? We’d be most likely to order the occasional snack or drink at the pool, maybe during happy hour time? Any recommendations there?

3. Grills - We plan to cook more than usual to save a little on costs. Maybe! Any comments or tips on using the grills? Are they usually busy? Are you allowed to bring a drink with you? I know you can’t at Honua Kai. Are there any nice tables nearby where you can eat? That might be nicer than schlepping food back to our no view condo.

4. Restaurants - Are there restaurants on the property that are worth eating at? What about the other two Westin Villas Properties? We’d most likely go for breakfast or a light dinner after a long day. I’ve heard SW mention Pulehu, is that at the North Villas?

5. Beach set up - I’ve seen the stacks of lounge chairs at the beach entries. What about umbrellas? Are these complimentary? Do they have enough of both? Can you just request set up when you walk out to the beach any time? Is it possible to use the beach set up at WKORV as well as pool?

6. Activities- Any free or low cost resort activities that are worth doing? Would we need to do those at Nanea only, or would WKORV activities be available to us as well?

7. Secret hints and tips??? What do you love or really not love about Nanea? Anything I’m not thinking of that you can share?

I’m excited to try Nanea, though Kapalua Bay Villas are really more our style. I’m thrilled that we get to do both, and it will still be an affordable trip.

I hope we might have a discussion here that will help others who are thinking of Nanea too.

Thanks so much TA friends!

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,382 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Pulehu
Pulehu
685 Reviews
Maui, HI
28 replies to this topic
Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Nanea - Please share whatever you know.

I haven't stayed at Nanea but have stayed at Kaanapali North which is the one next door. They may offer discounts for excursions for going to the presentation. They may also offer points if you are an SPG member although by then SPG will be merged with Marriotts rewards program. They may also give a resort credit. You may have a choice of any of those or some combination. They will take no but after the first person they will try to get you to take a better deal with a manager. Also they may not be selling Nanea it could be another property. It will depend on what they are selling when you are there.

You should be fine taking drinks to the grills. There are tables next to the grills to eat at.

We enjoyed Pulehu at Kannapali North. Food and service were very good. You can charge back to your room at all 3 Villas as well as the Sheraton and Westin at Black Rock.

When we were there in 2014 Kaanapali North charged for chairs and umbrellas. I don't remember but I think it was $10 for a chair and umbrella. Nanea probably does the same. If it is too windy they won't let you use an umbrella.

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,746 Reviews
Maui, HI
Pulehu
Pulehu
685 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Spa at Black Rock
The Spa at Black Rock
829 Reviews
Maui, HI
Iowa
Level Contributor
13,138 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Nanea - Please share whatever you know.

David, thank you for your insight. Interesting that they might actually be trying to sell us a different property. We are not ever going to buy a timeshare. Then again, I said we weren’t going back to Maui this year too, lol! So probably we’d best avoid the sales pitch altogether. I know we should not go have a mai tai right before!

Good to know that we can take a sunset drink while grilling, and even enjoy our dinner right there if we want to. I thought I had read that beach chairs were free as long as they lasted, but maybe I’m mistaken. These are the kind of questions I’ll ask of the resort, and I’ll report back to the forum when I know for sure.

Do you have any hints or tips about pools at any of the Westin Villas?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,584 Reviews
Maui, HI
Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Nanea - Please share whatever you know.

We own at the Westin on Kauai. When we were on Maui they sold us a unit in St. John because Maui was sold out. My guess is that Nanea probably still has units but you never know.

Sorry no tips on the pools. It's been 4 years and we didn't spend much time at the pool.

The policy on beach chairs may either be different at Nanea of may have changed in 4 years.

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,584 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Nanea - Please share whatever you know.

Teri

Having followed your posts I think Nanea is not your kind of place.

What you are most likely to get on one of these deals is a ‘resort view’ - aka looking into a room opposite or worse, highway, concrete parking lot, sewerage plant smell

The restaurant is super expensive and the pools are small vs the number of rooms - and no adult room.

Teri, stick with the Kapalua villas or Kahana

Momma is going to get me for being a hater - sorry, but I think Nanea is too dense and bad value even on the Timeshare deals

Edited: 20 May 2018, 02:46
Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Kahana Beach Resort
Kahana Beach Resort
357 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,532 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Nanea - Please share whatever you know.

Ducks, I think it works out to around a hundred a night for Nanea, right Teri? For that.............heck yes!

You won't be primping and fussing at the resort all day, as you said.

Do check out the Hawaiian Cultural activities there--an old friend of mine is the head of them and she is wonderful. She also has a *wicked* sense of humor..............but that prob won't be on display, LOL.

They have a number of things at the resort that might interest you and Brian both. I say go for it and hey, you will follow it with five days of Kaaaaahhhhhpalua :-).

Edited: 20 May 2018, 03:26
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,532 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Nanea - Please share whatever you know.

Ack, I meant to post a link about Maka' :

westinnanea.com/cultural-advisorhttps:/…

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Nanea - Please share whatever you know.

Here is a link to the Vistana (timeshare unit) page for Nanea. You can also see the other two Villa properties under "destinations". There are pictures and floor plans of the units.

https:/…overview

Iowa
Level Contributor
13,138 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin Nanea - Please share whatever you know.

Thanks for the link, David. I haven’t seen that one, so I’ll take a good look.

SW, I read about the cultural advisor earlier today, but I had no idea she was an old friend of yours. Very cool! We intend to explore what they have to offer. The cultural center looks very nice. We’re starting out at Kapalua and ending at Nanea, because those are the dates that we’re available. We may hate to leave Kapalua, but we do love the snorkeling at Kahekili. And yep, we will be just fine with no view at all for that price!

Ducks, I guess we won’t know until we stay there, but Brian and I do like to try different places. So I think we’ll enjoy Nanea for what it is...a bargain! It works out to $128/night total. That includes tax. In an area that we already love. We’re looking forward to some pool service & the hot tub in the evening under the stars.

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,532 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin Nanea - Please share whatever you know.

Oops, I misread! You will still have a great time.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin Nanea - Please share whatever you know.

We did the deal at Nanea. Timeshare presentation was low key so no issue there. We had a great room location (almost ocean front) Pools were fine and you CAN take a drink down to the grills. So we are going back to Nanea this August. Relax and enjoy and don't stress about the small stuff. Rooms are beautiful as one would expect. Be sure to eat at Down The Hatch in Lahaina. They have a grilled cheese with Lobster and Crab to die for. Aloha from Gulf Shores, Alabama

Mentioned in this post
Down The Hatch
Down The Hatch
593 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Reply to: Westin Nanea - Please share whatever you know.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted