We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip photos

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
45 reviews
Trip photos

Well, after a two year hiatus from Maui we finally made it back. Our gills were definitely dry and it was great to get back in the water. We met up with several friends while there and it made it a truly wonderful trip. The whale whisperer even managed to keep I think the last 2 or 3 whales around Maui there for a great luncheon show. She's too good to us.

We finally managed to get in a snorkel with barefootnAR. I need to keep her around. I think she's a lucky talisman. We found the Kapalua Whitetip shark with her and it never showed back up on our other snorkels there.

Lots of fish pics as usual. A few land shots too. I snuck away for a solo trip to the North side past the blowhole for the first morning. Found a nice spot and there was no sound but the breeze and the surf. I think 3 cars went by in an hour. Certainly a different from a Haleakala sunrise. But the spectacle was just as amazing. The pics don't even come close to doing it justice. The rest are mostly birds, turtles and surfers plus a few from the Iao Valley. We hadn't been up there in years.

Fish pics

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141358197@N06/albums/72157668537080428

Land pics

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141358197@N06/albums/72157667109992787

25 replies to this topic
Iowa
Level Contributor
14,208 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Trip photos

Oh hooray! Dreamin’s Maui pics! I can’t wait...but my vacuum is calling. Hmmm...what to do...clean house? Or wonderful photos from Dreamin’???

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,208 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Trip photos

OK, just took a peek at the first few snorkel pics. They bring back memories and also make me so anxious for our next trip!

Love the juvenile rock mover, they are so cute! And I’ve never seen the light morph of the fantail.

At first I thought it was a different kind of filefish. Do you know when or why they do that? Breeding?

I also love the imperial nudibranches. You and Mermaid Queen first showed them to me. I had a hard time finding them then, and now they alwys pop out for me!

I’m so happy you had a great time on Maui. I’ll enjoy the rest of your pics when my floors are clean.

Edited: 19 May 2018, 21:51
Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Trip photos

Teri, I've been watching Preakness stuff, but I'm going to take a break to look at pics!!

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Trip photos

Oh darn. I'm on a tablet and can't just click on the links!! What to do? Ugh.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Trip photos

I didn't realize TA didn't make links. I'll try the tiny URL route and see if that works.

Snorkel pics

https://tinyurl.com/yajdl4t3

Land pics

https://tinyurl.com/ycjznysu

Teri, that Fantail threw me also when I saw it. I thought it was new but I found it on Keoki's site. Haven't the faintest why it was like that but all the ones I saw this trip were like that.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: Trip photos

Yay, more fishie pics and those land lover ones are just as good......So glad you got a return visit and had a great time! Thanks for sharing Dreamin! A big Aloha to you and the Mermaid Queen!!!

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Trip photos

The new links worked! Thank you! Love your pictures, thank you for sharing them. Glad you got your return trip. For me, it's been 8 years, and I'm in some serious withdrawal. 😭

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
994 reviews
8. Re: Trip photos

Great pictures

Love the birds and nature

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,208 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Trip photos

Wow, that’s pretty cool about the fantails. I just read about them again on my Hoover fish app. I’m wondering now, did you see lots of them?

This is what Hoover has to say, “In bloom years, however, as from 1985-1988, they become superabundant and feed on plankton in midwater. At such times they take on an unttractive pale coloration and may die off by the thousands, washing up on beaches. In old Hawai’i this was said to portend the death of a chief.”

Hoover doesn’t have a photo of this phase, so maybe yours are not what he’s describing. I don’t find the fish in your photo “unattractive “. I do wonder if this is a bloom coloration and the beginning of a bloom year. I hope we won’t find some of our favorite little fishies dead on the beach at Kapalua next Thanksgiving when we’re there. But it would be interesting to see them in superabundance.

Edited: 20 May 2018, 00:58
Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Trip photos

Thanks for shortening those links dreamin. I enjoyed looking at your fishie pictures!!

Reply to: Trip photos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted