We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Turtles

7 posts
Save Topic
Sea Turtles

What beach do you recommend to see sea turtles? What time of day is best for viewing?

Molokini and Turtle Arches Snorkeling...
141 Reviews
from US$110.55*
Free Cancellation
Molokini Sail and Snorkel Adventure
150 Reviews
from US$117.52*
Free Cancellation
Molokini and Turtle Town Snorkeling...
78 Reviews
from US$79.95*
Free Cancellation
19 replies to this topic
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
953 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Turtles

We saw a bunch at the lookout just east of Paia Tuesday. Go down to the beach to the right as you face the water. 1 in the afternoon when we were there

Mentioned in this post
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Turtles

You can see them in the water while snorkeling.

Hookipa is the beach TRbeer is referencing. They come up on the beach to rest and sun themselves. Timing will just be the luck of the draw!!

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,062 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Turtles

If you went to Ho`okipa in the afternoon I'm sure there is a pretty good chance of seeing turtles basking. They have a permanently roped off area for them. But frankly anywhere there is some shallow rocky shoreline you have a good chance of seeing them feed. If you find semi-exposed green, mossy looking rocks that's where they love to feed even if there is waves. We have also seen them haul out and bask on the north end of Kapalua but not as reliable as Ho`okipa

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Iowa
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Turtles

What Dreamin’ said. Also, we see them regularly along Honokowai, Kahana, and Napili in West Maui. S Turns/Pohaku Park in Kahana is good. South Maui has lots of honu too, in the kind of places described. Keawakapu is a good place. I’m not sure if they’re as likely to come up on the beach there, or not. In Lahaina town try Honu restaurant for great views of the honu feeding on the rocks.

Mentioned in this post
Kahana Beach Resort
Kahana Beach Resort
357 Reviews
Maui, HI
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,426 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Keawakapu Beach
Keawakapu Beach
450 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Turtles

Saw 4 today at Kapalua. One huge one getting cleaned by a bunch of small fish. The north side of Kapalua bay is where you'll find them. On Thursday at Kapalua, one came out from under a rock right as my wife swam over the rock. Epic!

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Turtles

We always see a big turtle on the north side of Kapalua Bay.,since green sea turtles live to about 50 years or maybe more he probably is enjoying retirement

Edited: 20 May 2018, 06:14
Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Turtles

I saw 5 or 6 turtles while snorkeling yesterday (Friday) at Kapalua. One even surfaced right underneath me as I was videoing. I had to move out of the way or he would have just pushed up against my chest. Stand by for that footage as part of my edited trip video after we return home.

Edited: 20 May 2018, 09:26
Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,351 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea Turtles

Sea turtles are all over the coasts of Maui. You'd have to be really unlucky NOT to see them. Of course, if you want to see them *on your schedule*, you could visit the Maui Ocean Center in Maalaea.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui Ocean Center
Maui Ocean Center
4,255 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maalaea
Maalaea
57 Reviews
Maui, HI
New York
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea Turtles

Definitely Ho`okipa beach if you want to see them on the beach. But if snorkeling..Ulua beach and Kapalua Bay beach we have seen them many times!!

Mentioned in this post
Ho'okipa Beach Park
Ho'okipa Beach Park
1,157 Reviews
Maui, HI
Ulua Beach
Ulua Beach
591 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea Turtles

We saw some at Ho`okipa about 11am when we visited - there were two sunning themselves on the beach. Unfortunately it did not look roped off (we were just up on the lookout) and I witnessed a very selfish couple laying between them to take photos (and the turtles looked about a metre apart).

Reply to: Sea Turtles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted