We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report day 5

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
1,002 reviews
Trip report day 5

Days 1 thru 4 are on another thread. Day 5 started with the 1st digit on the clock as a 5 which means we got much better sleep. Our daily POG mimosa and coffee (POG mimosas are the bomb!) along with fresh fruit and poke got us going. We drove to the Kealia Wildlife Refuge boardwalk and admired the stilts and other birds. We continued our walk down Sugar Beach to the shops by the Ocean Center and returned to our car.

A quick stop at Sugar Beach Bake Shop for a macadamia nut roll and a lilikoi key lime pie which we enjoyed on the lanai at our condo. The tartness of the pie was excellent and is probably good for my waistline and other parts of my body that most of a continent and half an ocean separate me from Sugar Beach Bakeshop.

We lounged for a bit and it was getting hot on our lanai so we decided elevation would help. Silly me forgot the map and the phone decided it didn't want a signal from anything so I didn't have addresses or details. A nice lady at Kula Country Farms had directions, a map and some delicious looking honey that we purchased.

Next stop was Ulupalakua Ranch Store where an intoxicating aroma of grilled burger hit us. Ding went out stomachs so we split a burger with grilled pineapple and sauteed Maui onion. The setting and the view were peaceful and the cows grazing several thousand feet above the ocean in the background made a good photo op.

We went to Maui Wine across the street and split 2 flights of wine. The driver wins was all right but nothing that wowed us. The sweeter wines weren't our style. We're in Hawaii so yes were going to try pineapple wine which was on the sweet flight. Great aroma but vile to drink. We tried it and politely smiled to the host. The large trees in the garden at Maui Wine were spectacular. Walk the grounds of you're nearby.

We drove down the coast towards Hana admiring the stunning view and looking for the trail we hiked Wednesday. We discovered another honey stand and purchased another bottle. We turned around before the line of windmills marching from the ocean up towards the road.

We weren't sure where to go for dinner. Not to Bev Gannon - we would love a locally sourced hangar steak. Makawao Steakhouse sounded apple to my wife and I told her about the 3rd Friday event and she was intrigued. We got there and walked around the shops where my wife got some more gifts for other people. The steakhouse had an interior wood and leather that would fit in Arizona or a multitude of other non Maui places. Service was good and the beef sliders, truffle fries and Farm to Rita mixed drink were good. I'm not a big mixed drink person but this had a spicy but refreshing flavor along with a huge stalk of Rosemary

The street was now closed except for the idiot's who ignored the no parking signs and it seemed as if a mass of humanity descended on Makawao but this was different from the throngs of people we saw in Lahaina. I swear everyone knew each other and we were the only nonresidents. We didn't feel out of place but it was interesting people watching. We split a salad at Savage Kitchen food truck where the enthusiastic owner explained the source of the greens, taro, and venison. It was delicous and the cool relatively dry tradewind felt great.

"Hey, look how clear the sky and Haleakala are. Let's find a good place to watch the sunset". Wheels in my brain started calculating distance and time and the road towards Maui Wine seemed like the place to go. Off we went and the traffic was surprisingly light. We got to the point where the view of the sun was between west Maui and Lanai and found a place off the road to safely park. The view of the sun was spectacular although there was a layer of clouds close to the ocean. (Captain, stop gloating). The sunset was the best we've seen on this trip.

We stopped at Tamuras to get beer for our lanai and enjoyed the lazy moon, stars and constellations. The great diamond was clear and easy to see. I grabbed the flashlight so we could walk down to the beach and what do we see? 7 Honu parked along the beach. The moonlight was perfect to see them and I swear they have heads the size of a baby's head. A perfect end to a relaxing day.

10 replies to this topic
Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Trip report day 5

Sounds like a great day! Food sounded so good. Made me hungry! Thanks for sharing.

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,234 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Trip report day 5

Fabulous day!

Ulupalakua Ranch Store, we love it! Did you try one of the elk burgers? So good. Your sunset sound s like perfection. We did not get Upcountry at all last trip. Yiu are making me want to get back for sure. Thanks of r sharing your wonderful day. Is this your first Maui trip? You are doing it well!

Maui
Level Contributor
72,150 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Trip report day 5

What a fun and busy day-and evening! Glad you got to Makawao and had some good time in Upcountry.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
1,002 reviews
4. Re: Trip report day 5

Teri

2nd trip to Maui but a 25 year gap between our honeymoon trip and now. I'm loving the laid back vibe. There will NOT be a 25 year gap between visit 2 and 3

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,234 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Trip report day 5

I love that you’re, “loving the laid back vibe.”

If you read posts from regulars of some of the other islands, many will say that Maui is overdeveloped and hectic. We don’t find that to be the case on our visits. And I’m glad that after 25 years you don’t either!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,743 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Trip report day 5

Thanks for the report. I enjoyed a nice upcountry day last weekend and so feeling your "vibe!!"

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
15,085 posts
47 reviews
7. Re: Trip report day 5

Catching up on reports I have missed.. thank you for sharing. Sounds like even on your second trip you know the tricks for laid back and quiet. Not hard to do if you do it right! Not a fan of the wine either.

North Port, Florida
Level Contributor
670 posts
114 reviews
8. Re: Trip report day 5

TRbeer, Loving your TR...Like you, It took us 32 years to get back to Maui and I vowed to get back now each and every year. I already booked my trip for 2019. lol I'm breaking away from West Maui and staying at the Maui Sunset in a gorgeous penthouse unit on the top in Kihei. Funny thing is, this is the first place I ever stayed on Maui. Thank you for sharing your experience on this beautiful island.

Fl. Donna :>)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
9. Re: Trip report day 5

How’s the weather? We are going for Memorial Day weekend!

Maui
Level Contributor
72,150 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Trip report day 5

The weather is beautiful!

Reply to: Trip report day 5
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted