We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

USA
Level Contributor
127 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental

Received a reasonable quote from Advantage Rent a Car. Normally we rent using Costco, and have never had a problem. Has anyone rented from Advantage? If so your comments?

Thank you.

17 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,814 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental

Never rented from them, and never will! Not worth it to me, after reading the horror stories from others that have used this company, and having met people on Maui that wait around for hours waiting for them, to help with broken down cars!

Lots of threads about the lack of service from them. Use the search button, and you can pull up other threads on this subject.

And then there is always the looong wait to get out of their office. You can say NO loud and clear to all the upgrades they offer you, but they just make you wait longer to get out of the office. And their office isn't near the airport either.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental

Try www.discounthawaiicarrental.com . They often beat Costco prices.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental

So using Advantage through Discount Hawaii Car is okay?

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental

Advantage is no different through the broker. Your contract will still be with the car company.

USA
Level Contributor
127 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental

I was referred to Advantage by Discount Hawaii. A search on this forum brought up questions re supplemental insurance on Advantage rental. Have not read any actual experience with rental. jO123 describes horror stories, but they are second hand.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental

When is your trip? I reserved using DHCR about six weeks out. Over the next month the prices dropped and i cancelled and rebooked many times. Now about 2 weeks before the trip, the prices have started to rise again.

In my bookings, I have switched several times between Advantage and Thrifty. All things being the same, I only prefer Thrifty because it is located in the airport. I have a later arrival. In a pinch, I could actually walk to the pickup site. Advantage is located off site. Other than that, I would have no problem booking with advantage. All of the major car rental companies have their fair share of awful reviews, e.g. Long delays, messed up reservations, extra charges excetera.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental

When is your trip? I reserved using DHCR about six weeks out. Over the next month the prices dropped and i cancelled and rebooked many times. Now about 2 weeks before the trip, the prices have started to rise again.

In my bookings, I have switched several times between Advantage and Thrifty. All things being the same, I only prefer Thrifty because it is located in the airport. I have a later arrival. In a pinch, I could actually walk to the pickup site. Advantage is located off site. Other than that, I would have no problem booking with advantage. All of the major car rental companies have their fair share of awful reviews, e.g. Long delays, messed up reservations, extra charges excetera. I just expect the worst and hope for the best and try not to worry about it.

Edited: 20 May 2018, 15:17
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,861 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental

With all the horror stories we have heard on here..no way would I book with Advantage. Just not worth it

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,814 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental

On one trip, our flight was delayed was for five hours. We arrived on Maui about 2:30 in the morning. All the majors had their offices open, and the shuttles running. Except Advantage. One woman on our flight didn't know what to do. Our driver told her they were closed, and would not open for quite a few hours yet. She was planning on spending the rest of the night at the airport. Don't know how she managed at all.

And on my last trip, met a couple that were waiting for Advantage to bring them a new vehicle. They had already been back to the office once, to complain about something mechanical with the car. They wouldn't give them a new vehicle, gave the car a look, and said it was fine. No, it was NOT fine. They were told they would get to them at the condo in five hours, later that afternoon. They said NO, that they had appointments up west. We went on our way, and I didn't see them again, to find out what time Advantage showed up, or if they made it up west in time.

There are plenty of older threads that tell similar stories. And of course, there are also those have had no problems using them. But I still won't be one of them, regardless of the savings.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
San Diego...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental

So why use a broker that lists the worst agency in the island? Why do they continue to quote them?

Reply to: Car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted