We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food for thought on the stacking of stones

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,784 posts
Save Topic
Food for thought on the stacking of stones

https:/…99t-considered-pono-right

Aloha Aina

Dave

10 replies to this topic
Oregon
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food for thought on the stacking of stones

Yes, this. When did this ever become a "thing"?

Iowa
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food for thought on the stacking of stones

Happily, I haven’t seen this much on Maui. Honolua Bay has been mostly free of it when we’ve been there. I’ve taken down a couple of small stacks.

The article describes it as a kind of graffiti. People want to make their mark. Others see it and want to do it too.

Edited: 20 May 2018, 19:05
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolua Bay
Honolua Bay
760 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,610 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food for thought on the stacking of stones

People also think the stacking is some kind of cultural thing. I remember when Deb thought they were the Hawaii equivalent of inuksuks. They aren't and never have been.

We seem to have phases of them here. There tend to be a lot between Olowalu and Ukumehame, which get knocked down fairly quickly by the locals.

I remember posting about this and also the trend of hanging lei on tree stumps. The latter is really bad because the string ends up in the ocean :-(((.

Please, leave the land as you found it-or *cleaner*.

Here's a good article from Arizona, same problems there (and other places too):

https://www.hcn.org/articles/a-call-for-an-e…

Edited: 20 May 2018, 20:49
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
United States
Level Contributor
340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food for thought on the stacking of stones

AkamaiNick4SW...Yes!! Here in AZ these are popping up more and more. They have been around in Sedona but we have seen them literally all over the state in the middle of nowhere while camping. What drives people to do this?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,610 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food for thought on the stacking of stones

Luv, I think it's ignorance, mostly. They think they're having some spiritual experience, memorializing something or someone, making the "perfect photo". Rather than put a sense of entitlement aside, they proceed, and we are all seeing the results.

The same people would prob erupt (volcano pun intended) at news reports of archaeological theft--never realizing they are destroying nature and history too.

"Take only photos, Leave only footprints".................

SW

Edited: 20 May 2018, 22:09
La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,784 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food for thought on the stacking of stones

Thanks everyone for weighing in. You know the sentence in that article that I found really powerful was.....

"This beach that was once a respected resource for subsistence living was now being treated like a toy."

Dave

santa cruz
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food for thought on the stacking of stones

Thank you for posting this. I will never understand why some people have to leave their mark on nature.

We have to deal with tourists carving names into the ocean cliffs and making structures out of driftwood.

While they aren’t culturally insensitive, carvings are ugly to those that live here and the structures are dangerous when they collapse on kids playing inside.

We also get the stone stackers.

Please people, come to the beach and just “be”.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food for thought on the stacking of stones

It's the same thing along the lines of the love locks that started years ago. The advent of selfies, social media and instant self gratification foster's similar behavior. It's a see me too world.

🙈🙉🙊

santa cruz
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food for thought on the stacking of stones

Yes selfie culture. Haven’t two people been mauled by bears this year in the quest for the selfie?

We have about a dozen great whites cruising our beach. I wonder if they will be the next selfie quest?

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Food for thought on the stacking of stones

"When did this ever become a "thing"?"

It may be a somewhat recent phenomenon in some places, but my friends and I started seeing stacked stones at New England swimming holes perhaps 25 to 30 years ago.

"a kind of graffiti"

That's a pretty good analogy. Some of them are the equivalent of "Bob Was Hear" (sic) and others are constructed with far more skill and are, at least IMHO, artistic and sometimes aesthetically pleasing. I'll leave some of the nicer ones alone, but I'll frequently mine the lesser ones for my own art project, which I call Random Assortment of Scattered Stones.

"Haven’t two people been mauled by bears"

Some guy in India) got himself killed by a bear just a couple of weeks ago. Darwin's been dead for almost twice as long as he was alive but he still has a tremendous influence on the human race.

Reply to: Food for thought on the stacking of stones
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted