We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montage

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Topic
Montage

I have a 2 bedroom garden view at the Montage. I will arrive on June 1st. Now im wondering if i should have got the ocean view. Can anyone that has beem there tell me if it is worth the extra money? I think its about $700 or $800 price difference. I got the 4th night free so it may be less than that

Thank you

6 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montage

You may get upgraded anyway...or not. It depends on if it is important to you or not. The lanais at the Montage are fantastic, and I myself prefer the ocean view, but only you can decide if the extra money is worth it or you can spend the money on other things.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montage

Like TB4 said, it really depends on whether you want to spend the money for it-or other things. Also, ask yourself how much time you will be spending *in* the condo. If you plan to cook a lot, hang out a lot-it might be very worth it. If you plan to be out and about most days, it may not be.

Iowa
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montage

Did you book with a preferred membership or an agency like Whatahotel that offers upgrades when available? As I understand it, you can usually book your best rate, then go to whatahotel and get their upgrades for the price you’ve already booked. You might want to check it out. Here’s the website, but I’d call and speak with someone.

whatahotel.com/hotels/2879/Montage_Kapalua_B…

As TB4 said, only you can decide if it’s worth it for $800. But we do love an ocean view in Kapalua. If I were spending what the Montage costs, I’d just go ahead and spend the extra if possible.

We have just booked 5 nights oceanfront at Kapalua Bay Villas for what one night in a garden view at Montage would be. That’s where my budget is. So, of course, my point of view will be different from yours. Montage is still on my bucket list!

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
948 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montage

I've stayed there four times and booked through American Express Platinum and also Whatahotel - depending on whether or not I want the 4pm checkout. They NEVER upgrade anyone - at least in talking with others we have all had that experience. You get what you book. they only have 50 rooms they rent as a "hotel". These rooms are all on the interior part of the "horseshoe" the way the buildings are arranged. To get a close ocean view you would have to be in other buildings closer to the ends of the horseshoe and these are privately owned. Some are rented through various rental programs and some people don't rent theirs. You will not ever be able to get what is considered "oceanfront".

I have never stayed in the garden view - always the ocean view - but just know it is behind the pool and to the sides and it's not a lot of ocean to be seen in those rooms. Having never stayed in garden view I can't say for sure, but talking with a guy who delivers room service that I see every time I stay there, he said the garden view are sometimes the first floor rooms that have obstructed views due to landscaping or they face off to the side and back toward the road.

All the 50 rooms they rent as a hotel are exactly the same in furnishings and amenities. Gorgeous property - you can always go outside and sit around the beautiful pool area and back patio areas by the bar or walk down to the sidewalk by the coast and sit on benches there and enjoy the lovely view. I know that doesn't really answer your question but I will tell you that your odds of an upgrade are slim to none and ocean view might not be what you are expecting due to the layout of the property.

Edited: 20 May 2018, 20:36
Iowa
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montage

Great first hand info, Julie. Thank you!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
948 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montage

To clarify about the ocean view - depending on what floor you are on the view is better but it is far away - and only the left side of the building can see any type of sunset. We've stayed in various locations and the view differs alot in each one. And as far as never being upgraded - of course I can't definiitively say it won't happen, but I can say it rarely does. :-) You will love it there regardless of the room I think

Edited: 20 May 2018, 20:40
Reply to: Montage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted