We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family itinerary suggestions

omaha ne
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
Family itinerary suggestions

Traveling to Maui Monday May 28-Friday June2. Staying at Honua Kai. We are a family of 7 with 5 kids ages 8-16. We will be spending 5 days on Oahu first and then coming to Maui. I need help and have several questions.

1. We are going to attempt to do the road to Hana. We might not make the entire route. Any suggestions or secret tips.

2. We plan on doing some Ziplining with Maui Zipline.

3. Considering a tour with Trilogy. They seem to have great reviews. I can’t decide which one to do? Discover Lanai, Molokini (some say this is overrated) or the Kaanapali.

4. Was thinking about a Luau with old Lahaina but they are already booked. Any other suggestions?

Are Luaus with the $$$$?

5.Maybe try to get to the farmers market?

6. Considered surf lessons but I was told to do that while we are in Waikiki??

Any other suggestions or advice I would love!! This is our first time in Maui.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,380 Reviews
Maui, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,729 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Kapalua Ziplines
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Flyin Hawaiian Zipline
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
6 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,812 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family itinerary suggestions

I wouldn't do the RTH, no way, no how, with that many kids! And do any of them get car sick? One thing about that drive though, is that you can turn around at any point, if you aren't having fun anymore. Maybe go to Twin Falls, and then have a family meeting!

If you can afford the $$$, head to Lanai with Trilogy. It's a great day, and they feed you well too. So much easier to do too, as they leave from Lahaina.

Phone the Old Lahaina Luau directly. Give them your dates, and how many people. They will put on a wait list. Lots of people get in on short notice that way. But not sure if this will work, given the number of seats you need. You could try the Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt, as an alternative.

Absolutely get to the Farmers' Market! From the HK, it is north of you. Lots of fun!

I'd want to do the surf lessons on Waikiki as well. Surfing was "born" there, and it's an iconic beach.

Maybe drive north to the Nakalele Blowhole. Watch those kids though! Do not let them get close to that blowhole, and make sure every one has proper shoes, not slippahs! Or drive to Ohai Trail, just a bit further, and walk around the loop there. Do not go any further than that on that road though. You will need to turn around and go back the way you came. It's a curvy road too, but nearly as long as the drive to Hana.

Mentioned in this post
Twin Falls Maui
Twin Falls Maui
336 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Old Lahaina Luau
Old Lahaina Luau
6,752 Reviews
Maui, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Nakalele Blowhole
Nakalele Blowhole
932 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Buena Park...
Level Contributor
16 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family itinerary suggestions

Hana is once in a lifetime experience, but I wouldn't do that again. If you have young kids, it will be tough (with many turns). I think you better to see sunset at Haleakala (NOT SUNRISE). Pack some snack before you drive up there & bring jackets, it will be cold. Depend on where you stay, we love Kihei location, because there're many restaurants with reasonable prices.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,273 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family itinerary suggestions

I would skip the luau totally. You have a lot of people to buy $$$$ tickets for-and maybe none of the kids will enjoy any of the luau, too. You might watch some You tube etc videos-***with the kids***, and see what everyone thinks.

RTH would be a no to me. I'd opt for 'Iao Valley and then a stop at the Maui Tropical Plantation and the Maui Ocean Center. Less car time and more variety of scenery and sights.

For the snorkel trip, I'd def stay away from any south side trips. The Kaanapali Trilogy trip is good, as are trips from there with Gemini, Teralani, and Hula Girl.

You have a really short trip, and are doing a lot of windshield time.......don't forget it's supposed to be *vacation*!

For cheap eats near Honua Kai, grab to-go from Times, Java Jazz, Honokowai Okazuya, Ohana Tacos, and Subway. For a little more expensive, look at Pizza Paradiso, Auntie's Kitchen at the Westin KOR, Fish Market Honokowai, Teppanyaki To Go, Maui Brewing Company Kahana, Beach Bums Napili, Down the Hatch in Lahaina, and Honolua General Store in Kapalua. Lots more around but these will get you started.

Mentioned in this post
Maui Tropical Plantation
Maui Tropical Plantation
1,030 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui Ocean Center
Maui Ocean Center
4,237 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,729 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hula Grill Kaanapali
Hula Grill Kaanapali
6,009 Reviews
Maui, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,380 Reviews
Maui, HI
Honokowai Okazuya & Deli
Honokowai Okazuya & Deli
449 Reviews
Maui, HI
Ohana Tacos
Ohana Tacos
385 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,581 Reviews
Maui, HI
Fish Market Maui
Fish Market Maui
1,321 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui Brewing Company
Maui Brewing Company
1,192 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kahana Beach Resort
Kahana Beach Resort
357 Reviews
Maui, HI
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,425 Reviews
Maui, HI
Down The Hatch
Down The Hatch
592 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Honolua Store
Honolua Store
677 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
omaha ne
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family itinerary suggestions

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like I should not do the RH.

I did book the drums of the pacific because they have an offer for kids free with adults right now so seemed like a decent deal.

The kids really want to Zipline. Because of age and size we can do the Maui Zipline tour but it is 45 minutes from Honua Kai resort we will be staying at. Any other suggestions??

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,380 Reviews
Maui, HI
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family itinerary suggestions

Molokini snorkel has had its day

Lanai is nice but a long day and lots of $$$

Might consider the Kaanapali snorkel

Trilogy, Gemini, Teralani all good

Costco discount for a Teralani

Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,729 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,273 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family itinerary suggestions

The Maui Zipline is at the Tropical PLantation, so it's really not a problem. Just add it to the day I suggested above.

The Hyatt luau will be fun for everyone, I think. Glad you got the deal.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui Tropical Plantation
Maui Tropical Plantation
1,030 Reviews
Maui, HI
Reply to: Family itinerary suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted