We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Erosion in Maui

Boulder Creek...
4 posts
Beach Erosion in Maui

I am having the hardest time booking a vacation for our family. The most affordable trip I can find, for a family of 5, is through Costco. I am trying to decide between Royal Lahaina and Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. This is the first non camping vacation that my family has ever had and I am very concerned about beach erosion. I hate to spend the $7,000 and have ruined beaches. Also I am a little worried about crowding. Which one of these resorts has the least crowded beaches? Or am I better off staying on the south side? Our kids are 15, 12 and 4. The pressure of planning this vacation are killing me lol. Please help!

13 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
15,056 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Beach Erosion in Maui

Of the 2.... Royal Lahaina. Less crowded and huge wonderful beach. However... with a family of 5.. I would look at a condo for more space and a kitchen for at least snacks.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,954 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Beach Erosion in Maui

When are you visiting?

In the summers, south and west swells will take sand from the south beaches (Kihei, Wailea) and dump it on the west and NW ones. So there can be different conditions at different times.

I agree, I would def want a condo. Way cheaper in the long run and way more comfy too!

Maui
Level Contributor
71,954 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Beach Erosion in Maui

Here's a link to the beach next to the Royal Lahaina, in front of the Maui Eldorado's cabana:

http://www.mauieldorado.net/Page/25768~436651/Web-Cam-Page

You can see it's very wide and beautiful :-).

Boulder Creek...
4 posts
4. Re: Beach Erosion in Maui

Thank you so much for your input. I am thinking although more expensive, the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali might be a better fit. Are you familiar with that hotel?

Boulder Creek...
4 posts
5. Re: Beach Erosion in Maui

Our vacation is planned for July 22- July 28th of this year. I was also looking at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali. They have two bedroom units there. Are you familiar with that resort?

Cotati
Level Contributor
433 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Beach Erosion in Maui

Does the Mahana even have a beach?

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,208 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Beach Erosion in Maui

The Mahana is a condo, not a hotel. Aston manages some of the condo units and rents them in a manner similar to a hotel. It’s a great low key place with stunning ocean views. But I like it for adults during winter whale season. The beach right here in front is very rocky and most of the time little to no sand. It’s easy to walk down a ways to better beach.

But for your family, I would look at Maui Ka’anapali Villas and Maui Eldorado. Both are right near Royal Lahaina on the great beach.

Edited: 22 May 2018, 22:49
Cotati
Level Contributor
433 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Beach Erosion in Maui

Eldorado is not "on" the beach.

Boulder Creek...
4 posts
9. Re: Beach Erosion in Maui

How is the beach at the Ka’anapali Villas?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
23,009 posts
10. Re: Beach Erosion in Maui

Six nights in July. Family of five.

You could either stay West Maui and enjoy your time up there, or stay South Maui and take a trip across the valley (Halekala, Road to Hana, Iao Valley), and a day trip up to Kapalua, stopping at Lahaina Town in West Maui. If you're flying into OGG, that, too is more convenient to South Maui.

Absolutely...a condo! Home from home, but on Maui. Kitchen, washer/dryer, decent size lanai (not postage stamp balcony). A 2BR 2Bath would be fine if one child can sleep on the hide-a-bed in the living room -- or on an air mattress.

Maui has beaches from stem to stern -- from Kapalua at the NW end of West Maui to Wailea/Makena in South Maui. All Hawaiian beaches are public places; you're not stuck with only the one 'out front' of your lodging. Most condos come with beach towels, chairs, umbrellas, and a cooler.

Get your rental vehicle car reserved now and the condo ASAP. There are a lot of families visiting Maui any time mainland schools are on holiday.

(You don't need to reply to us individually. We all read the entire thread here.)

Reply to: Beach Erosion in Maui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted